Chicken Wing Audio Rat Salad

VanWhy

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Here is my build of @steviejr92 designed Rat Salad pedal.

Super fun build and a cool ass take on the RAT. The bent metal enclosure Stevie did looks great too. He really did a great job on this all around. Kudos.

Pretty easy build too. It was my first time working with an enclosure like this aside from modding a production RAT. Just had to maneuver stuff around. I enjoyed it. Oh and used a *magic metal can LM308. Did everything by the BOM except substituted a 1N4148 for the 1N5237B out of necessity.

Man, it sounds great too. It does the RAT distortion thang but I was really enjoying it dialed back just a bit for a more amp like feel. I'm not good with tone descriptions I just know it sounds and feels like "high definition".

The clipping LEDs showing through the amp jewel just look badass. I really dig that.

Circuit, layout, quality, and asthetic gets 2 thumbs up from me.

Attachments

• 20230921_171659.jpg
    20230921_171659.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 20230921_171932.jpg
    20230921_171932.jpg
    409.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 20230921_181526.jpg
    20230921_181526.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 20230921_172050.jpg
    20230921_172050.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 71
That looks so cool... how'd you build that box @steviejr92

Cool design on the jewel box too. I seem to prefer LEDs over diodes and wondered what it looked like inside the pedal when I play my pedals.
I use 16 gauge aluminum. I first start out with my stencils that I designed in Fusion 360. I’ll cut the stencil out using bench shears. I then use a metal break to make the bends!

As for the clipping LEDs, you can see them light up when you play. They will react exactly to the input from the guitar. Pretty cool stuff!

Wow that looks way better than when I sent it off! 🤣

Thank you for your support and building it! I like the look of those knobs! How do you like the range of the GAIN and COMPRESSION?
The range in the gain, compression, AND filter to me just give it some much flexibility. I was really impressed with the filter. It's not like a normal Rat filter. It really allows you to dial some a lot more useful sounds. I really like how they interact with each other too. Since it has that Rat foundation I didn't think it had this much going on but just playing with it for 20 minutes I don't feel like I scratched the surface on cool dirty tones this can do.

The range in the gain, compression, AND filter to me just give it some much flexibility. I was really impressed with the filter. It's not like a normal Rat filter. It really allows you to dial some a lot more useful sounds. I really like how they interact with each other too. Since it has that Rat foundation I didn't think it had this much going on but just playing with it for 20 minutes I don't feel like I scratched the surface on cool dirty tones this can do.
Awesome feedback, Im glad you like it!

Yeah you can get it to do some cool sounds that are usually not associated with a normal Rat. Cool to hear your enjoying the lower gain side of the circuit. I think thats really where the Rat Salad shines!

I use 16 gauge aluminum. I first start out with my stencils that I designed in Fusion 360. I’ll cut the stencil out using bench shears. I then use a metal break to make the bends!

As for the clipping LEDs, you can see them light up when you play. They will react exactly to the input from the guitar. Pretty cool stuff!
Awesome.. back when my uncle was alive he was the best Sheetmetal guy around. He built all kinds of stuff professionally from the inside of police K9 vehicles to news vans to semi trailers. I wish I'd have known about all this stuff when I was younger and could have gotten him to teach me some of this. My aunt has a huge shop full of his equipment just sitting there in the back yard.

Awesome.. back when my uncle was alive he was the best Sheetmetal guy around. He built all kinds of stuff professionally from the inside of police K9 vehicles to news vans to semi trailers. I wish I'd have known about all this stuff when I was younger and could have gotten him to teach me some of this. My aunt has a huge shop full of his equipment just sitting there in the back yard.
Man its never late to start experimenting! I say if you want to start small but dont want to spend a lot of money, Id say visit your local metal supplier IN PERSON. Anything online will always be more expensive.

If you have access to a box break you're in the best possible position already to start bending. If you have a normal break like i do then you just have to get creative. Im always willing to help and give tips. Get yourself some metal and start bending!

Back