SOLVED Cobalt Drive problems…..SOLVED……..FINALLY!

Jeff C

New member here and also new to building pedals, as you will shortly see. I previously built a BYOC Reverb pedal kit successfully and it sounds great. I’ve also built from scratch a Strat, a Tele, a 59 LP, and an LP Junior. So, I wanted a blues driver pedal and thought I’d take a whack at the Cobalt Drive from PedalPCB. The directions are not as detailed as in a kit so I’ve had some difficulty. Clearly in over my head. I managed to procure the parts from the list (not without trial and error on my part) from Tayda. I mistakenly bought a switch without solder lugs so after consulting a patient, helpful friend, bought a daughter board and did my best to figure out how to marry the two - having no skills whatsoever in electronics. History major. I have managed to assemble it but I get nothing from it except static pops when I plug it in. Bypass doesn’t work. No idea what I’ve done wrong but I suspect it revolves around needing to do more with the daughter board on the switch. But what do I know? Here’s a couple of pics (the power jack is not there but I did connect it to test). And I haven’t installed the LED yet. Any and all suggestions are eagerly welcomed. You may recomemd I should just start over but I hope not….. Thank you!
855EE297-D464-47F8-880D-F0D8B9C40E15.jpeg 15E06C0D-93DB-4AE9-944D-BA1BED3416FB.jpeg

Last edited:
Wait, no sorry, I do have connectivity to one side only of the r1 and c1 from the in pad
OK that makes sense, but you should get a tone if you have connectivity on C1 or the one side of R1... if you don't then it looks like you have connected the signal to the out pad... see my other message.

So, as of now, using the multimeter, I’m getting connectivity from in to r1 and from r1 to both c4 and r7, from c4 to r8, from r8 to q3 and q3 to r6………

This pedal has a ton of components. If you are using an audio probe, I would start from the transistors. If any of the following fails, you found the problem, no need to continue:
  1. Check if you have signal at the gate of Q1
  2. Check if you have signal at the gate of Q3
  3. Check if you have signal at the drain of Q1
  4. Check if you have signal at the base of Q5
  5. Check if you have signal at the collector of Q5
  6. Check if you have signal at the gate of Q2
  7. Check if you have signal at the gate of Q4
  8. Check if you have signal at the drain of Q2
  9. Check if you have signal at the base of Q6
  10. Check if you have signal at the collector of Q6
  11. Check if you have signal at pin 3 of the IC
  12. Check if you have signal at pin 6 of the IC