SOLVED Cobalt Drive problems…..SOLVED……..FINALLY!

Jeff C

New member here and also new to building pedals, as you will shortly see. I previously built a BYOC Reverb pedal kit successfully and it sounds great. I’ve also built from scratch a Strat, a Tele, a 59 LP, and an LP Junior. So, I wanted a blues driver pedal and thought I’d take a whack at the Cobalt Drive from PedalPCB. The directions are not as detailed as in a kit so I’ve had some difficulty. Clearly in over my head. I managed to procure the parts from the list (not without trial and error on my part) from Tayda. I mistakenly bought a switch without solder lugs so after consulting a patient, helpful friend, bought a daughter board and did my best to figure out how to marry the two - having no skills whatsoever in electronics. History major. I have managed to assemble it but I get nothing from it except static pops when I plug it in. Bypass doesn’t work. No idea what I’ve done wrong but I suspect it revolves around needing to do more with the daughter board on the switch. But what do I know? Here’s a couple of pics (the power jack is not there but I did connect it to test). And I haven’t installed the LED yet. Any and all suggestions are eagerly welcomed. You may recomemd I should just start over but I hope not….. Thank you!
855EE297-D464-47F8-880D-F0D8B9C40E15.jpeg 15E06C0D-93DB-4AE9-944D-BA1BED3416FB.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah, I had it wrong in the first pic. Fixed that. The bypass works so a signal is getting from the input jack to the switch and back out to the output jack successfully. I ignorantly bought some funky looking jacks but they seem to work.

Those jacks are very common, why don’t we start with it out of the enclosure and get it working. So we have bypass, you haven’t installed your led yet so we don’t know if it’s getting power correct? It looks like d100 is backwards can you check the orientation. If it’s backwards it will not allow power through to the circuit.

Last edited:
I’ve not installed the led yet but can if that will help. Not sure what a d100 is. It’s not on the parts list. Sorry for my noob ignorance…..

Doh! Yes, that’s on the list and yes, I put the damned thing in backwards. I thought I was being pretty careful on all those polarity items. Damn. And double damn cuz that means I’m gonna have to take off the pot above it in a very ticklish de-soldering exercise. I don’t know what I did in previous lives but I’m sure paying for it now……. I‘ll get back to you guys if I am successful in this operation. 🤞🤞🤞

Well, I got the diode out (with the able assistance of my far more dexterous wife) and put it back in correctly. plugged it in but still have the same problem. I checked all the wiring connections with my multimeter and found that the ‘in‘ and ground on the PCB pads that connect to the switch are actually connected (the ones in the pic below, not that you guys need help with that!). I’m thinking that’s not a good thing, no? if so, I’m afraid that in changing switches I may have inadvertently established a solder connection there. So, if you tell me I‘m correct and there should be no connectivity there, I’ll remove the ‘in‘ connection (which looks the sloppiest….) and try to make a clean break between it and the ground……..and re-solder.
6BFF1ABC-36A6-4314-9048-60A28FBCA7B5.jpeg

Ok, made the probe and the probe works. I get signal from the input jack, the switch and the ‘in’ pad on the PCB. Read up about schematics and based on the Cobalt Drive schematic, I should then test at either R1 or C1 but I get nothing there…….. Suggestions?

Back