Cobalt Drive with Keeley/Phat Mod...

RobertJay

Doing the Mod to the cobalt drive and I see R24 goes from a stock 10K to a 2M??? Is that right? That's quite a different value. Just checking.

Check out this thread it might be helpful

You are correct that the original circuit is a 10k in the thread I posted for you in part 4 he listed using a 100k, and I believe I found the build docs you might be working off of using 2M for R24.. It would still work but I’m not how sure it would jive with some other pedals if I’m correct in assuming it might significantly change the output impedance (I could be totally off on that). If I were you I would start with 100k and see if you were happy with that. Hell you could even socket it and work your way up or down, the 2M in that position doesn’t pose any threat to the pedal it’s self given I only looked at those last output components and not anything up stream in the mods, probably not the most technically correct advice you were looking for but this might nudge someone to come along and give you something more concrete.

I studied quite a few BD-2 mods when I first starting tinkering with pedals, I'll have to check what I had for Keeley's mod

I studied quite a few BD-2 mods when I first starting tinkering with pedals, I'll have to check what I had for Keeley's mod
Of all the mods I studied none with the exception of Wampler (and most recently Chuck D Bones) changed any resistor values

You are correct that the original circuit is a 10k in the thread I posted for you in part 4 he listed using a 100k, and I believe I found the build docs you might be working off of using 2M for R24.. It would still work but I’m not how sure it would jive with some other pedals if I’m correct in assuming it might significantly change the output impedance (I could be totally off on that). If I were you I would start with 100k and see if you were happy with that. Hell you could even socket it and work your way up or down, the 2M in that position doesn’t pose any threat to the pedal it’s self given I only looked at those last output components and not anything up stream in the mods, probably not the most technically correct advice you were looking for but this might nudge someone to come along and give you something more concrete.
Hey, I'm sorry I didn't include the build doc pic. But yes! How about another one that I built! I asked the same question to the guy that did this mod on YouTube and no reply. The pedal tested ok as far as I was concerned, but the customer did complain about a low put put level. I thought he was pulling my leg as he's also going direct into a pc interface, I was happy with the pedal using an amp. Perhaps the 2M is too high and cutting the output. Thank you! This did help, I think. Haha. I'll pass along the build doc I was going off off. It's close to the original as far as resistors go... Except for this one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220302-045646_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220302-045646_Gallery.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Hey, wrapping this up and keeping in touch. The phat mode seems useless. I've seen other post about how they can't hear the difference, I stuck with the 33nF value and no extra switch. As far as the R24 value. I also hear no change. I soldered in a 100k in the spot and piggy backed a 1.8m. Sounded the same as it played, I cut the lead and had no output level change. So... It's whatever. Thanks all.

Back