Complex OD vs Dirty Sanchez or Thermionic

That pretty much describes my experience.
I think of the Sanchez as a DS-1 with more EQ controls. The Complex is much more like a hot tube amp. If you want more out of it, it responds really well if you hit the front of it with a boost - especially a mid boost. I'd be inclined to pair it with a Tube Screamer, Klon or other mid-hump OD of choice.
What about a Haunting Mids?

If you want to do it "by the book" you change...
R14 to 10K
R16 to 100K (same as Thermionic with the internal trimmer dimed)
C8 to 120pF
C9 to 100pF

Just changing R14 or R16 will get you half-way there.
Changing both will get you to the Thermionic's gain.
Changing the caps will brighten it up a tad to match the Thermionic.
I really like the voicing of the Complex, so I only changed R14 and R16. Wow, gain machine! Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

Anyone noticed a little bit of hairy-fluffy-fizziness on the Complex? I did the mods on my Thermionic Deluxe (DS channel) and loved it, but this little thing is intringuing me. Double checked everything and looks like is allright. There is anything that can cause this? I mean, a wrong type of capacitor or something?

Thanks!

Where do you have the gain trim set? It should be down near the bottom to mimic the Complex.

Wrong parts could definitely mess up the tone. A little visual inspection can't hurt and you might find something.

Where do you have the gain trim set? It should be down near the bottom to mimic the Complex.

Wrong parts could definitely mess up the tone. A little visual inspection can't hurt and you might find something.
I replaced the trimpot by a 27k resistor

Only thing that's not like I wanted to be is some ceramic capacitors that I can't find tantalum or mica at the requested values

One resistor swap can bring the gain up to Thermionic levels, if that's what you wanted to do...

I'd try it "stock" before making any changes though.
Hi!Which resistor is that in the Complex OD circuit?Also does it have a difference if the leds are not diffused? Thanks!!

I replaced the trimpot by a 27k resistor

Only thing that's not like I wanted to be is some ceramic capacitors that I can't find tantalum or mica at the requested values
I`m too sceptical about that...Does the original has mica?Would it benefit from that?

Back