DEMO Cordyceps (Mold Spore / modified Craig Anderton Ring Mod)

This post contains an audio or video demo

DGWVI

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Just got these things boxed up. Definitely a different approach to ring mod than I'm used to, with it implementation of a PLL oscillator / modulator that only spits out square waves.

While it can do some chimey adjacent tones, don't expect bells and ethereal clangs out of this- for that you'd need a sine wave modulated circuit. This thing is all about brutal, filthy squarewave Ring Mod. It does fuzzy, and it's not quite as predictable as say a Frequency Analyzer- some notes will cause a motorboating effect, some notes might seem to be barely effected at all. It handles chords well, and becomes a nasty fuzz with 5ths.

I definitely need to spend more time with it, as it's also quite different in timbre, tonality, and feel than the square wave mode on my Ring Thing. I like it so far for its nastiness, and it's incredibly easy to tune the Oscillator to a particular note. Tuning out the oscillator whine is dead simple, and the gate circuitry seems to work well with a wide range of Vactrols.

Super simple builds, beautiful board layouts, and @Robert offers the 565s with the boards

These two are largely identical, with one being built to spec according to the screen print, except the vactrol (ST VTL).
The other has had its frequency pot swapped from 50kB to 100kC so it can get slower and into choppy tremolo territory. This one is also using an LCR0203 I picked up from Amazon a while back. Which, according to the data sheet I was able to find, is actually identical in specs to the above listed ST VTL.
Both have 10k trimpot as I was out of 5k

I haven't tried a hand rolled LDR/ LED combo, but These cheap Vactrols, VTL5C3, and VTL5C1 all seem to work identically, so I wouldn't get too hung up on this particular part.

Looking at the datasheet for the 565, there are a few other potential mods, but I'll wait til the honeymoon phase grows wearisome before delving any further
orca-image--1970645273.jpeg 20c7f75e-fa91-4ce9-a20b-fa3375fcc08bphoto.jpeg
f06348c9-ed38-4e6b-96b9-1e8bee431842photo.jpeg

As mentioned above, I'm still learning the nuances of this circuit, so this demo is pretty trashy, but I tried to cover the range of the pedal
The vid is with the 100kC Frequency Pot

Overall, I like this circuit, and I'd recommend it to other ring mod freaks. Super stoked to finally have a stand alone ring mod offered here, and you can bet your nippy that I'll be all over any others that release in the future

Last edited:
Awesome! My boards should be arriving Friday It seems. I’d love to get ‘em built ASAP but I need to get a few more parts. I also need to come up with graphics, but I’m so excited about a PPCB ring mod finally being a reality after being a pest about it for ages, that I’ll surely just build it into a bare enclosure in the meantime

These the Amazon vactrols you’re talking about? https://a.co/d/3fMkWVZ

Just got these things boxed up. Definitely a different approach to ring mod than I'm used to, with it implementation of a PLL oscillator / modulator that only spits out square waves.

While it can do some chimey adjacent tones, don't expect bells and ethereal clangs out of this- for that you'd need a sine wave modulated circuit. This thing is all about brutal, filthy squarewave Ring Mod. It does fuzzy, and it's not quite as predictable as say a Frequency Analyzer- some notes will cause a motorboating effect, some notes might seem to be barely effected at all. It handles chords well, and becomes a nasty fuzz with 5ths.

I definitely need to spend more time with it, as it's also quite different in timbre, tonality, and feel than the square wave mode on my Ring Thing. I like it so far for its nastiness, and it's incredibly easy to tune the Oscillator to a particular note. Tuning out the oscillator whine is dead simple, and the gate circuitry seems to work well with a wide range of Vactrols.

Super simple builds, beautiful board layouts, and @Robert offers the 565s with the boards

These two are largely identical, with one being built to spec according to the screen print, except the vactrol (ST VTL).
The other has had its frequency pot swapped from 50kB to 100kC so it can get slower and into choppy tremolo territory. This one is also using an LCR0203 I picked up from Amazon a while back. Which, according to the data sheet I was able to find, is actually identical in specs to the above listed ST VTL.
Both have 10k trimpot as I was out of 5k

I haven't tried a hand rolled LDR/ LED combo, but These cheap Vactrols, VTL5C3, and VTL5C1 all seem to work identically, so I wouldn't get too hung up on this particular part.

Looking at the datasheet for the 565, there are a few other potential mods, but I'll wait til the honeymoon phase grows wearisome before delving any further
View attachment 47703View attachment 47704
View attachment 47705

As mentioned above, I'm still learning the nuances of this circuit, so this demo is pretty trashy, but I tried to cover the range of the pedal
The vid is with the 100kC Frequency Pot

Overall, I like this circuit, and I'd recommend it to other ring mod freaks. Super stoked to finally have a stand alone ring mod offered here, and you can bet your nippy that I'll be all over any others that release in the future
I'm going to have to build this one next!

Awesome! My boards should be arriving Friday It seems. I’d love to get ‘em built ASAP but I need to get a few more parts. I also need to come up with graphics, but I’m so excited about a PPCB ring mod finally being a reality after being a pest about it for ages, that I’ll surely just build it into a bare enclosure in the meantime

These the Amazon vactrols you’re talking about? https://a.co/d/3fMkWVZ
Them's the ones.

I think a bare enclosure would work for this aesthetically
I'm going to have to build this one next!
Please do! Someone that actually knows what a guitar is needs to demo this :ROFLMAO:

Getting pretty close to finishing mine that's on the bench now and this thread is just making me even more excited. I'll definitely be doing the C100K mod - thank you for sharing that! Wish I knew a LCR0203 was alright here before paying $10 for an xvive vactrol!

Edit

RE: Other mods - for posterity here's JC Maillet's mods to the original Anderton circuit - not sure whether these apply to the Mold Spore but will be curious to check once the build docs are up.

Variations on Anderton's Balanced Ring Modulator from JC Maillet

Last edited:
Getting pretty close to finishing mine that's on the bench now and this thread is just making me even more excited. I'll definitely be doing the C100K mod - thank you for sharing that! Wish I knew a LCR0203 was alright here before paying $10 for an xvive vactrol!

Edit

RE: Other mods - for posterity here's JC Maillet's mods to the original Anderton circuit - not sure whether these apply to the Mold Spore but will be curious to check once the build docs are up.

View attachment 47787

Those mods would work on the Cordyceps. Though, the dual Nulling pots would be overkill. The 5k and gating circuitry work wonderfully.

Here's the Schem from EPFM. It's much closer to the Cordyceps than the Maillet drawing, but doesn't include the gating circuitry
Screenshot_20230504-095610.png

Back