Crybaby Octave Wah mods

Interested in any mods that may help my Crybaby Octave Wah be good lol. I can’t find any info on these things. I’m guessing they didn’t do well on the market. Anyone have a layout or schem? Thanks for any info.

Anything that will get me closer to line level and provide a broader sweep. Currently there’s a considerable level drop when wah engaged. It was taken to a tech that replaced 4 20uf caps but it doesn’t sound good currently.

As an older pedal, it would be a good idea to replace ALL of the electrolytic caps for a start. Over time, electrolytics dry out and drift from their specified tolerances and values.

Check the voltage supply levels from Vcc, VBias (½ of Vcc) and Vdd in the supply section around T2 (also an MPSA18). Vcc is for the analog bits and Vdd is the supply for the digital CD40xx devices. Bias is for ½ Vcc reference in the signal path.

The CD4016 is an analog switch and can be replaced with more easily obtainable CD4066 with a lower 'On Resistance" spec (~125Ω) than the CD4016 (~250Ω).

If none of the above brings it back to unity gain, try futzing with the output section at Q2 for the dry out and/or Q4 for the wet output. Or even the input section at Q7.
Note that this is a buffered bypass circuit.

Back