D2O Boost (Dual Arche 125B)

manfesto

I’m obviously no @Robert when it comes to layouts (much less circuit tracing. *shudders*. dear @Robert thank you so much for your traces and schematics), but I’ve been wanting to work on my routing skills by doing some 125B-sized dual-circuit boards, and a dual Arche set up like the OG Heavy Water (one side zeners one side germanium) seemed like a good achievable goal. I got one half laid out and routed to my satisfaction, and then copied the layout and routing on the other side, was done in an afternoon!

Anyway, it sounds great. Like I said in my build report of the Fordoble, the boost section is really where it’s at - well tuned “Lows” control and the right kind of sheen that sets good clean boosts apart from the bad ones. Went with some D9Bs that had forward voltages of around 270mV and it definitely had a dirtier character and less headroom than the 1N34As I put in my Fordoble (those ones clocked in with unusually high forward voltages for germaniums, and the switch didn’t do terribly much besides add some ragged edge to the sound).

If you’re doing an Arche or a Fordoble I’d recommend finding the lowest Fv germaniums in your stash to really get the “dirty” boost sounding properly “dirty”.

Next dual-circuit 125B I’ve got planned is a quad-op-amp OD-1 circuit into a v1 OCD, looking forward to getting the parts to verify that one because it sounds really cool in my head lol

Attachments

• IMG_9563.jpeg
    IMG_9563.jpeg
    767.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_9562.jpeg
    IMG_9562.jpeg
    671.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Back