Danae Overdrive ( Ibanez-Vemuran TSV808)

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
So as to not disappoint @Feral Feline and @spi with my production output, I have one last build report for the weekend:)

I put this board on my "waitlist" as soon as it was announced. I'm not really sure why it interested me so much, I didn't even watch any demo videos of it.
I just knew I wanted to build it:)

Very straightforward build and as usual for @PedalPCB, it's beautifully laid out. My only disappointment was not being able to squeeze this into a 1590B hahaha.

All the hype and controversy surrounding the Jan Ray aside, it's a pretty sweet sounding variant of a Timmy. So what could be so exciting about a Tubescreamer and a Timmy as a single circuit? I would definitely say that this falls into the camp of being more than simply the sum of its parts. Really neat sounding pedal.

The mid hump of the TS is definitely there but also, as oxymoronic as it may sound, is the transparency and clarity of the Timmy circuit.
Since there's no schematic of this published yet, I'm not exactly sure what's going on, but it sounds like more than simply running a TS into a Timmy or vice versa.
It actually sounds like a well integrated pedal with elements of both circuits.

The Danae has the small trim pots for "Bass" and "Saturation" exposed as full pots which I think is very useful. The Bass control sounds like it's a Timmy style bass control. I'm not exactly sure what the "Saturation" knob is doing but I'm guessing that it's blending in (or more accurately blending out as you tune CW) the clipping circuit.

The original pedal has the clipping options as internal dips. The Danae exposes these are external toggles which makes me all giggly, I would have probably modded it this way if it hadn't come already modded. Very useful, as far as I can tell from the PCB traces it controls the 2 pairs of clipping diodes. I'd have to confirm once the schematic gets released.

I've been comparing it to my Tommy III build as well as my Powder Blue build. Both are great sounding pedals but the Danae adds that TS "oomph" into the mix which makes for some very nice overdrive sounds.

The gain sounds are useful throughout the entire range of the sweep and this is one of the few overdrive pedals I've built that actually sounds good to me even the gain dimed. When the gain is all the way up and the "saturation" knob turned fully CW the TS nature of the pedal really comes through.
With the Saturation at full CCW it's more like a Timmy.

I'm liking it somewhere in between but towards the Timmy side with the Saturation around 9-10 o'clock and the gain around 1 o'clock and both clippers toggled on.
Sounds really good on my Strat. It doesn't seem to sound much different running it at 9v vs 18v.

The limited run of TSV808s are no longer available and I've seen them going for really stupid money on Reverb. Glad to be able to access those sounds for pennies on the dollar building my own! (Although there are no "mojo parts" like the original in my build)

I built it with all the stock components, no subs. OPA2134PA for the OpAmp. Tayda Glimmer Brown Sugar enclosure.

Cool new pot covers made by @swelchy!

IMG_3398.JPG

IMG_3400.JPG

I've been enjoying building vicariously through your reports because haven't been able to get one done since we got a dog. Our puppy absorbs all my free time.

I'm curious about the schematic for this. Given the part count, looks like a Timmy with mid hump (but then a Timmy isn't that far off from a TS anyway).

Great build Michael! Why is there a resistor on the 500k pot? Did you use a 1M or something?

I’m looking forward to receiving the PCB soon here in the Netherlands. Jan Ray and Soloist are 2 of my favorite pedals so a hybrid could be cool to add or replace them.

Great build Michael! Why is there a resistor on the 500k pot? Did you use a 1M or something?

I’m looking forward to receiving the PCB soon here in the Netherlands. Jan Ray and Soloist are 2 of my favorite pedals so a hybrid could be cool to add or replace them.
Yup, I did not have an A500k so I hacked an A1M. It's amazing how much I've amassed in components over the last 6 months yet I'm always missing that one component for my build hahah.

Back