Deflector - First Build!

dontstaylong

Hey all, as title says this is the first pedal I've made from the site (previously have done a couple kits), and while I'm getting power, I'm not getting the effect to function. I had it working for a few minutes, but when I put it into the enclosure, it's been dead ever since.

I'm currently getting signal through when the switch is off, and when the switch is on the LED lights up, so something's getting completed, but I'm not sure where the breakdown is. I've just bought a multimeter, so now it's a matter of learning how to use it. 🙃

I initially had some issues with what seemed like some terminals on the FV-1 not connecting, which I corrected but it took a minute - I'm worried I fried the chip. Below are a few photos, but I'm not entirely sure what I should be looking for here. Where should I start? Also, the 9v jack I ordered didn't fit the enclosure, so I've just attached a 9v battery clip in the meantime.

IMG_4344.JPG
IMG_4345.JPG

One of the first things you need to address is the wiring, you have strands sticking out all over the place, those can cause a short of they touch something. Do you have something on the back of the pots? They could be shorting against the board. Why is the spin chip discolored at the the bottom? Reflowing joints may be important a as well. Is there any reason you didn’t socket the ic’s?

Thanks, I was wondering about the wiring. I need to tidy those up. I also think I need to re-do the input wire from the switch to the board, I think too many of the strands got pulled out when I stripped the wire, so it's just one strand.

I've got a strip of electrical tape on the back of the pots because I was thinking the same thing. The spin chip is discolored from having to reflow some bridges that formed which are since taken care of. Can you elaborate on "socket the IC's?" I'm kind of new to this. Thanks so much for any help!

One thing that happens when it was now it isn’t is the solder joints cool off and are no longer connecting to something. Go back and reflow all the solder joints, paying special attention to the ones that look like globs of solder.

Hey all - thanks so much for the help. Reflowed everything (for the second time!) and made sure a few connections were more secure, plus trimmed up those wires. Working great!

Now I just need to get a different 9V barrel jack. The opening in this enclosure looks to be about 9mm - I'm assuming the small jack here will work? Though I don't feel like paying $12 including shipping for it to just look a little tidier in the meantime. I'll try to find a local shop - I'm in LA, anybody got any favorites?

Back