Deflector Reverb whine on low density settings

Hello!

I recently finished the Deflector reverb - my goodness, what a blast. I don't have a ton of use for an ambient reverb, but it sounds great and turned out well enough to sell to someone looking for a discount Afterneath!

My ONLY issue with it is that, as I turn the Density control CCW, a light whine is introduced, becoming most pronounced at the minimum knob position. This goes away almost completely after turning the knob about 25% past minimum, but is definitely noticeable with the control set below that. Sounds almost like an oscillation introduced from a cheap power supply, but I'm using an MXR iso brick which is dead quiet otherwise. I don't think the whine is a huge deal because IMO the knob sounds best past noon, but I'd like to fix it if I can.

Does anyone have experience with this or know what could cause it? Could it be an issue with the FV-1 itself? I've tried to get a demo but the hiss seems too subtle to record with my phone... maybe I'm just splitting hairs here, not sure.

Thanks for your help!

James

That's normal.

Density controls the FV-1 clock frequency, things get a little noisy (aliasing and clock frequency entering the audible range) near the low end.

Hi there,

I build the Deflector Reverb and have some strange issues with it.

The functionality is normal but if I turn the pedal on depending on the position of the mix pot the pedal makes strange noises.

With mix off (fully counterclockwise, only dry signal) you hear a poping / typical electrical crack.

With mix on noon (50%) the sound is more like a gunshot an has an echo audible for the next 1-2 seconds. After this the pedals functionality is normal.

With mix fully on the sound is even louder and more noisy like a waterfall or thunder with a wide echo and is audible for 2-3 seconds. After this the pedals functionality is normal.

Thanks in advance

Back