DEMO Defouler

This post contains an audio or video demo

Guardians of the analog

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
1000010902.jpg
So here is the defouler, the distortion side of the backfeeder. It's sort of a modded/updated DS-1. It's got a lower noise floor and and the way the gain pot is incorporated is different. The overall tone and feel is a tad darker and smoother. It has around the same max amount of gain but the overall range is distributed more evenly and lower gain levels are easier to get. Same tone pot action though. Only changes are an mpsa18 for the npn and the diodes are bat46/4148 in series to get the original diodes fv.

Matte violet enclosure and UV print. As a teen in the 90s this is the only way I know how to use a DS-1 type circuit. Low parts count and easy build make for a good distortion.

D9plW99.jpg
zRR7UpY.jpg
eOLunkE.jpeg

Last edited:
I get asked this from time to time. It's not necessary so I don't. There are many large scale manufacturers that only ground the input, EQD is one that comes to mind. Ever use isolated jacks? One ground point to the enclosure from the board, so similar concept. Unless the jack were to become disconnected to the enclosure or the pcb then the output jack sleeve is still always connected to ground thru the enclosure. Now some will argue it's best practice to ground both jacks, sure, if your selling them why not. These are being used at home so I'm not worried about loose jacks twisting and breaking connections from touring or rough use. I also like the minimal aesthetic of it and I'm an idiot 🤷

Last edited:
I just so happened to catch this on YouTube right before you got it up 😎 yeah I’m a fan…

Amazing build I’m not familiar with that character but he looks so dang cool! Great build dude!
Thanks Stevie, that's Kang. I appreciate anyone watching the sound clips and getting anything out of them. I try to keep them short and to the point.
Looks good, sounds good.

That Kang graphic is incredible, and you make that boss stuff sound good and seem interesting
Thanks Will, I guess thats one hell of a compliment considering how you feel about boss 😂
I'm always impressed with your builds. The patience and attention to detail really shows. Great job!
thanks, it's a mental illness lol OCD pays off every once in a while
Nailed that sound! Just added this one to my list.
the risk to reward ratio on this board is outstanding. @Robert did us a real favor by making this part of the circuit a standalone board.
Gorgeous build!
thank you
You nailed that “Breed” tone dead nuts man. Definitely one of my favorite Nirvana tunes. Another great build, always inspiring me to try and build better and cleaner than I did before.
I live in your shadow Rob, I'm always chasing your build quality
Another goddamn cutie pie…I respect the player, and the game…
Kang is a smooth operator 😏

so long as everything has ground that should, adding additional paths to ground is just a way to run into ground loops

Back