DEFX EVA (Spaceman Gemini IV)

pingpongcomputer

Pretty straightforward build. The only substitution was auditioning different Ge transistors, the guts pic shows a GT402B, which sounded good, but I ended u sticking with the AC128 recommended in the BOM. I got Tungsram Ge transistors from this ebay seller, he lets you specify hfe and I also asked for the specific leakage values from the BOM. He couldn't find a low enough leakage AC128K but got pretty close, it was around 200uA instead of the under 150uA specified but it works great and remains stable over hours of playing. I used a 1590BB2 from Tayda with the Chromium paint and a UV print, which is my favorite artwork attempt so far, the white text looks difficult to read in the photos, but it stands out nicely in my room. The only minor hassle was wedging the jacks in the case. The BOM calls for 1590BBS or 1590c, both are taller than Tayda's 1590BB2, but I managed to get them mounted up top, just had to trim some of the plastic housing on both jacks so the lid could fit, and bend a few caps to allow clearance for the plugs and travel of the tip contacts.

Sound-wise it's nicely versatile, between the Si/Ge blend, each with independent gain and filter, in addition to a master volume I can get pretty much any sound I'm after, though I tend to dial it in to my preferred sound and leave it there. Running it into my Matamp head, it can get any doom/stoner rock sound, and a range of other classic fuzz sounds but really excels at Sleep/Electric Wizard/Windhand etc.

Pics:
aGvoRyP.jpg

tWisxWi.jpg

4RV8o3M.jpg

Back