Different resistor for LEDs

irvmuller

I’m wanting my leds to be a bit less bright. I know using resistors with greater resistance can do that. How high could I go and still get the led to still come on? What do you guys use or suggest besides the standard 4.7k?

Mcknib

I like mine dim for standard LEDs I use 10K or you could if you can he bothered use a 20K trimmer wired as a variable resistor and set it to your preferred brightness them measure the resistance for future reference

If you use a trimmer make sure it's not set to zero resistance, set it around half way so you don't blow yer LED when you connect it

Chuck D. Bones

I’m wanting my leds to be a bit less bright. I know using resistors with greater resistance can do that. How high could I go and still get the led to still come on? What do you guys use or suggest besides the standard 4.7k?

Your best bet is to stick them in a breadboard, try different resistors and see for yourself. Different colors, standard vs. super-bright, all have different resistor requirements. I have 400nm UV LEDs that need 1.5K to be seen. My aqua LEDs are a plenty bright with 15K - 22K. There are no absolutes.

IF YOU USE A TRIMMER, PUT AT LEAST 1K IN SERIES TO PROTECT THE LED.

spi

I breadboard the LED with a pot attached, and adjust to my desired brightness, then choose the closest resistor to where the pot is. If you do this, put a 2k in series with the pot so you don't accidentally burn the LED.

I usually end up with 10~20K for regular LEDs and ~50K or even more superbrights.