Different resistor for LEDs

irvmuller

I’m wanting my leds to be a bit less bright. I know using resistors with greater resistance can do that. How high could I go and still get the led to still come on? What do you guys use or suggest besides the standard 4.7k?

I like mine dim for standard LEDs I use 10K or you could if you can he bothered use a 20K trimmer wired as a variable resistor and set it to your preferred brightness them measure the resistance for future reference

If you use a trimmer make sure it's not set to zero resistance, set it around half way so you don't blow yer LED when you connect it

I’m wanting my leds to be a bit less bright. I know using resistors with greater resistance can do that. How high could I go and still get the led to still come on? What do you guys use or suggest besides the standard 4.7k?

Your best bet is to stick them in a breadboard, try different resistors and see for yourself. Different colors, standard vs. super-bright, all have different resistor requirements. I have 400nm UV LEDs that need 1.5K to be seen. My aqua LEDs are a plenty bright with 15K - 22K. There are no absolutes.

IF YOU USE A TRIMMER, PUT AT LEAST 1K IN SERIES TO PROTECT THE LED.

I breadboard the LED with a pot attached, and adjust to my desired brightness, then choose the closest resistor to where the pot is. If you do this, put a 2k in series with the pot so you don't accidentally burn the LED.

I usually end up with 10~20K for regular LEDs and ~50K or even more superbrights.

Stupid question, but how do I know which resistor to replace on the pcb? Since the LED are board mounted on PedalPCB boards.

Quite often it's R100. But you have to check this on a schematic to be sure. 4k7 in front of the LED.

Stupid question, but how do I know which resistor to replace on the pcb? Since the LED are board mounted on PedalPCB boards.
The two little arrows shooting out of a diode symbol mean it's an LED. That's what to look for on the schematic. The relevant resistor will be next to it. On many PCBs it's the only 4K7 resistor anyway so that's usually a safe bet, but check the schematic to confirm.

EDIT: The arrows are sometimes just lines, without pointy bits.

Attachments

• light-emitting-diode-symbol.png
    light-emitting-diode-symbol.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I’ve wanted to ask for a while now why the LEDS are so blindingly bright. Going to start using son 20k+ in my builds instead of the 4.7k.
Probably also doesn’t help that I sit on the floor in front of my amp & board for most of my brief playing opportunities, so they are are usually right in my face.

I always check with my multimeter's continuity checker. It will be the 4k7 resistor that has a direct connection to the SW pad.

Back