Dizzy Elk (RAD/Chicken Wing)

Mentaltossflycoon

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
A while back, @peccary kindly offered up these beautiful little dizzy tone boards and though I had already built one long ago on a ppcb Gnat board, I was compelled. Thankfully I had socketed my original build so auditioning another set of transistors was pretty easy. I had a moment of confidence so I went without sockets on this one. I also jumpered the attack and balance pots since I keep them dimed at all times. Ended up using a similar set of transistors as my first build. Some MP38 I got from Ukraine in Q1 and Q2 with an AC127 in Q3. I ended up preferring a black glass Mullard diode, I was stoked to finally use one since I've been sitting on a few for years now. Not sure why but this build just sounds a bit better. It's slightly less gated than my first and actually has useable sounds and textures with the gain turned down some.

It sounds so good it earned itself a fancy box. @steviejr92 has been flexing his skills with these bent powder coated enclosures and this mustard color is by far my favorite. With the copper bottom and light brown knobs it's like a mustard sampler. I should call it the Glizzy Tone. I almost put oxblood Davies klon style knobs on it but I don't f@&% with ketchup on my glizzy.

So this is kind of a dual "bro build" making it extra awesome. It's going on the pedalboard.

20240213_200820.jpg 20240213_195918.jpg

mustard-hot-dog.gif

mustard-dade.gif

giphy.gif

Yeah, I dig this, and two knobs is a great idea. Maybe I'll hit up @bean to do one knob revision one of these days. If I had any skills I'd do it myself, but I can hardly get any build time in these days, learning Eagle certainly isn't in the cards.
I don't know if any changes are necessary. This little purple board was pretty easy to work with. Didn't even need to do any off board wiring since the knob arrangement differs from the Gnat.

Back