Dr Robert / Pharmacist Issues

grobbins

Hello,

I've been building a couple of Dr Roberts. The first one works no issues.

Second one is a swine. There is no signal when engaged. Just buzzing.

-Bypass ok.
-leds ok
-pots affect volume /gains/mids in both normal and boost channels (you can hear volume/eq of the buzz change).

I've attached pics below. I realise I bought some silly capacitors but they shouldn't be an issue as it's sister pedal works fine.

I've reflowed every joint. Where next ?

Cheers!

G

Attachments

• IMG20240507224939.jpg
    IMG20240507224939.jpg
    586.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG20240507224952.jpg
    IMG20240507224952.jpg
    543.7 KB · Views: 30
Might be the charge pump. Check all the polarities of the CP components. Also, there are some charge pumps which are not good for audio, as they induct a sub harmonic of the switching frequency into the power which creates a buzz. I use ICL7660CPAZ, which have been reliably devoid of that condition. I have not tried the TL1054CPs yet.

Reflow all your solder joints. There are some pretty iffy ones on there.
No judging but not sugar coating either.
Edit, add on
Some components look to be held in place by a blob of solder but aren't making contact with the pad.
You'll need to use more solder and if you cleaned the board already, may want to add flux. MG Chemicals makes some nice flux pens and are available at Bezosmart. Tip, store them upright.
If your solder isn't adhering and flowing well, need to access your iron tip and temp. Also. Be sure you clean your board before populating. Oils from your fingers or other sources can cause issues.

Value depends on the information provided in the data sheet of the specific jfet you’re working with. I’ll refer you to @Chuck D. Bones excellent info in the boneyard

It’s always a good idea to socket your jfets @grobbins as in this case you could just swap them to see if they are indeed the issue.

Reflow all your solder joints. There are some pretty iffy ones on there.
No judging but not sugar coating either.
Edit, add on
Some components look to be held in place by a blob of solder but aren't making contact with the pad.
You'll need to use more solder and if you cleaned the board already, may want to add flux. MG Chemicals makes some nice flux pens and are available at Bezosmart. Tip, store them upright.
If your solder isn't adhering and flowing well, need to access your iron tip and temp. Also. Be sure you clean your board before populating. Oils from your fingers or other sources can cause issues.
Thanks some good tips here.

Generally I've never had an issue soldering until recently. I used to get nice small clean shiny joints but they've started being blob like and dull. I've replaced the tip and haven't changed solder. I'm wondering if my iron is on the way out?

Value depends on the information provided in the data sheet of the specific jfet you’re working with. I’ll refer you to @Chuck D. Bones excellent info in the boneyard

It’s always a good idea to socket your jfets @grobbins as in this case you could just swap them to see if they are indeed the issue.
Thanks - some good advice here too. I used to socket but as I'd made this pedal before a few times for friends I didn't feel the need as they always seemed reliable. But I'll have a look and test the fets!

Nice build!
I know I saw someone in a Facebook pedal group with a hand built SLO pedal, judging from the control layout, I’m guessing it was a PPCB board as well.

As someone mentioned elsewhere, wonder if using shielded wires from the switch to jacks would help cut the oscillations?

I got them from Tayda. I did not test - can I do this with a multi meter?

I'm curious about this too, how do you test them? How do you test them, and what values are your looking for? I have a DCA that gives me some insight into hfe, etc, but how do I know if it's a good part?
Gorfida: Search "Lead Solder" and look for my post on resolving SLO oscillations.

Grobbins & Chris:

JFET tests for pedal building:
- Always socket FETs, MOSFETS, transistors and ICs. Very convenient to perform swaps and prevent damage from direct soldering.
IMHO, PedalPCB products are extremely well-made and are designed to never let go of installed components.
- Organize. You will be comparing and matching FETs, so give them an identity. I make a numbered grid on a piece of paper and place each
FET in its 'square.' You can notate results in the square.

- Testing continuity for shorted and open (no conductance) conditions and simultaneously diode forward voltage value, using a multimeter
set to diode / continuity test. If the value from 'G' to 'S' is more than 5% of the value from the measurement of 'G' to 'D' (look up your FET
pinout orientation), the FET will behave asymmetrically in gain and as a switch (the point where the bias on 'G' is so high or low, that it prevents
current from flowing). If a single FET measures within tolerance, the resulting value is now a useful element in matching it to other FETs
which are in tolerance. More: https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/semiconductors/chpt-5/meter-check-transistor-jfet/

- FET gain. There are multimeters with FET gain capabilities. I do not own one and perform this test using a breadboard and basic power
supply which gives me clean 9V and18V DC. Power supply negative goes to ground. I connect Vcc+ to a 50K linear trim, which
then goes to 'D'. Connect a 1uF cap from 'D', to a 1M resistor to gruond to simulate output load. Connect 'G' (in this order from the
FET to 'signal input) to a 47pF shunt to ground (prevents Radio Frequency Interference), 1M resistor to ground (provides stable reference
to ground), and a 22n in-series to the 'signal input' jack. 'S' connects to a 4K7 resistor, which connects to a removable wire to ground.
Test 1: Beginning with that ground wire removed and the input jack shunted to ground, connect a milliamp meter between that 4K7
and ground (replacing the grounding wire). Power up and turn the bias trim pot until the multimeter on milliamp setting just measures zero
(no current flowing). Reconnect the ground wire to the 4K7 resistor and using a DC voltage multimeter setting with the negative probe on G
and the positive probe on 'S', measure and record the voltage (which should be typically 1/2 of Vcc). If you cannot get the current to read zero,
then the FET is probably bad.
Test 2: (optional) remove the signal input shunt to ground. Plug in a signal generator (a phone app will do). Using around a 1kHz signal and
an oscilloscope probing 'D', increase the signal 'volume' from low to high and observe the voltages and shape for symmetry, especially when
the FET is approaching internal clipping. Notate points where the FET begins to collapse (low signal generator strength), become asymmetrical
and clip. IMHO slightly asymmetrical results can work to great effect in an overdrive, yet too much difference can sound bad and be unusable.
Recorded values will be a second variable in 'matching' FETS, especially if you record a lot of data points to create faux amplification curves.

Discard FETS which are shorted, open, or which drift (won't stay at zero milliamps with a stable Vcc) on Test 1 or are extremely asymmetrical. Many builders I have met buy four times more than their current need, weed out the bad and bag and mark like FETS.

I match FETs in this order: zero-current bias voltage (where two FETS share a bias adjustment), gain (point where the FET hard clips), symmetry (or asymmetry, depending on what I am trying to achieve) and finally G-D / G-S forward voltage symmetry.

MOSFETS can be similarly tests using a low-gain preamp circuit, set up like the 'Prince Albert Drive.'

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom