The Grand Wazoo
Active member
Greetings, all. I’ve made my first foray into dual pedals. This is a Greer Lightspeed (Mach 1) and a Zendrive (Mahayana). I’ve incorporated the PedalPCB order switch breakout and used a 4PDT stomp switch with it so you can switch on-the-fly. The extra pole is for a dual color LED that will indicate which pedal is first.
The individual builds were simple enough. When putting them together in a 1590BB it got a little more challenging. I relocated the LEDs to leave the artwork alone. I took some advice that @PapaBear offered some time ago and used small vero boards to get the LEDs squared away. This was very helpful for the order switch LED as it is dual color and the CLR lives on the vero board.
Moving the LEDs and using the order switch resulted in a lot more wire than I’m used to inside an enclosure. For the first time I used solid core 24awg wire, which is much simpler to solder. But if you move it too much you can get some breakage. The wire was also silicone insulated and that was excellent. No more brutalized PVC at the solder points.
The enclosure is a Tayda 1590BB in Winked Silver. The artwork is a Koala No Spray waterslide decal. I used Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch 2X Ultra Gloss over everything.
As I finished each board, I hooked it up to the test box that I built and that gave me some concern. Both pedals had a horrible 60 cycle hum that I could not make go away (including clamshelling the boards in opposing aluminum foil turkey pans). I was getting signal but it was noisy. I pushed ahead and when all was tucked away in the enclosure they are both dead quiet. I guess I’ll need to visit my test box to see what’s what.
The two pedals compliment each other nicely. It’s a good combo. I set the Lightspeed for low gain and the Zendrive for a pretty meaty higher gain sound. They work great when both are on together and switching the order when the pedals are set like that provides some interesting flavors given that the second pedal is the “voice” of the sound. Driving the input of the Lightspeed sounds pretty good.
Fun build. Can’t wait to use it in a jam situation.
The individual builds were simple enough. When putting them together in a 1590BB it got a little more challenging. I relocated the LEDs to leave the artwork alone. I took some advice that @PapaBear offered some time ago and used small vero boards to get the LEDs squared away. This was very helpful for the order switch LED as it is dual color and the CLR lives on the vero board.
Moving the LEDs and using the order switch resulted in a lot more wire than I’m used to inside an enclosure. For the first time I used solid core 24awg wire, which is much simpler to solder. But if you move it too much you can get some breakage. The wire was also silicone insulated and that was excellent. No more brutalized PVC at the solder points.
The enclosure is a Tayda 1590BB in Winked Silver. The artwork is a Koala No Spray waterslide decal. I used Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch 2X Ultra Gloss over everything.
As I finished each board, I hooked it up to the test box that I built and that gave me some concern. Both pedals had a horrible 60 cycle hum that I could not make go away (including clamshelling the boards in opposing aluminum foil turkey pans). I was getting signal but it was noisy. I pushed ahead and when all was tucked away in the enclosure they are both dead quiet. I guess I’ll need to visit my test box to see what’s what.
The two pedals compliment each other nicely. It’s a good combo. I set the Lightspeed for low gain and the Zendrive for a pretty meaty higher gain sound. They work great when both are on together and switching the order when the pedals are set like that provides some interesting flavors given that the second pedal is the “voice” of the sound. Driving the input of the Lightspeed sounds pretty good.
Fun build. Can’t wait to use it in a jam situation.