Duophase build with wrong jack. 🤦‍♂️

Erik S

The Duophase came together last night. Everything worked great apart from one pretty embarrassing noob mistake. Turns out I had no idea what a switched jack was. Somehow I just glossed over that detail, saw the number of lugs and thought I could use a regular trs stereo jack. Makes no sense once I thought through the signal path, but now that’s what’s in there.

It worked right away as two independent phasers, but no 2 in 1, since there’s no functional jumper between the two.

Side note - all the switched jacks I see are closed frame… Ideally I’d like to have an open frame one that matched the other jacks, are those not a thing for some reason?

Once I understood my mistake I connected an alligator clip jumper between the tip and ring lugs on the stereo jack, and got the whole super-phaser thing happening. Pretty awesome, but I couldn’t close up the enclosure.

The temporary workaround I came up with until I can get my hands on a switched jack was to sacrifice a 1/4 - 3.5mm headphone adapter. I cut out the plastic insulation between the tip and ring, and jumped the gap with solder. Now if I plug that adapter into the TRS jack, it jumps the tip to the ring, and I’m in business.

Why do I have knobs where the LDRs should be? @Betty Wont suggested some kind of light shield so the light from one side doesn’t get picked up on the other side. Those crappy tayda knobs were about the right diameter, so they got bored out on a lathe, notched to clear the upper ICs and hot glued to the board.

EDIT: just looked again and found some switchcraft open frame switched jacks on Amazon and ordered them. Hopefully they come soon so I can ditch the adapter of shame.

Attachments

• 0BF84899-98CB-4A16-AAF6-58848E5CAC9E.jpeg
    0BF84899-98CB-4A16-AAF6-58848E5CAC9E.jpeg
    489.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 905DD26E-9F87-44C5-A8BE-76899BD931D6.jpeg
    905DD26E-9F87-44C5-A8BE-76899BD931D6.jpeg
    822.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 280DEB6F-91C2-487F-A595-7FE88FBEB52A.jpeg
    280DEB6F-91C2-487F-A595-7FE88FBEB52A.jpeg
    406.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 02BC4D03-A3F4-40AB-B43A-5A0F5F10BDA5.jpeg
    02BC4D03-A3F4-40AB-B43A-5A0F5F10BDA5.jpeg
    494.5 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Gorgeous! You used your scribe thing for the lettering right? I have one coming from ebay today, fingers crossed I can get results half as nice as yours!

Gorgeous! You used your scribe thing for the lettering right? I have one coming from ebay today, fingers crossed I can get results half as nice as yours!
Awesome! I'll be interested to see how it works out for you! The first handful of enclosures I lettered were bare aluminum which worked out good, because whenever I made a mistake I could just acetone them off and start over. That DOES NOT work out good with the powdercoated ones....

The Duophase came together last night. Everything worked great apart from one pretty embarrassing noob mistake. Turns out I had no idea what a switched jack was. Somehow I just glossed over that detail, saw the number of lugs and thought I could use a regular trs stereo jack. Makes no sense once I thought through the signal path, but now that’s what’s in there.

It worked right away as two independent phasers, but no 2 in 1, since there’s no functional jumper between the two.

Side note - all the switched jacks I see are closed frame… Ideally I’d like to have an open frame one that matched the other jacks, are those not a thing for some reason?

Once I understood my mistake I connected an alligator clip jumper between the tip and ring lugs on the stereo jack, and got the whole super-phaser thing happening. Pretty awesome, but I couldn’t close up the enclosure.

The temporary workaround I came up with until I can get my hands on a switched jack was to sacrifice a 1/4 - 3.5mm headphone adapter. I cut out the plastic insulation between the tip and ring, and jumped the gap with solder. Now if I plug that adapter into the TRS jack, it jumps the tip to the ring, and I’m in business.

Why do I have knobs where the LDRs should be? @Betty Wont suggested some kind of light shield so the light from one side doesn’t get picked up on the other side. Those crappy tayda knobs were about the right diameter, so they got bored out on a lathe, notched to clear the upper ICs and hot glued to the board.

EDIT: just looked again and found some switchcraft open frame switched jacks on Amazon and ordered them. Hopefully they come soon so I can ditch the adapter of shame.
I did the exact same thing when I built my duo. I saw 3 tips so I figured good right? hahahah.

My ignorance was well documented in my build report. The inter webs is forever man…….heh

Last edited:
Back