DEMO edgy friend (Friendly Fire / Pulse Wave)

This post contains an audio or video demo

DGWVI

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
First time with either of these fuzzes, and while I did make a couple minor tweaks, I love them both. Two totally different beasts that compliment each other really well. The Friendly Fire / FY-2 Companion gives you those reedy saxamaphone timbres, while the Pulse Wave / Square Wave spits out a super aggressive gated distortion

My tweaks were simple -
For the FF, I just increased C5 and C6 to 10n so it could put out a little more low end, and wind back the huge mid-scoop a bit. I also added a 100pf parallel to R3 to cut back on some of the noise
The PW has just had its germanium clippers swapped for an infrared / red LED pair to help with it's super low volume
And, there's an order toggle of course

The Friendly Fire side is fun for it's almost total disregard for what you feed it, transforming your guitar into a pissed off, hellborn facsimile of a brass horn. Tons of sustain, and it wants to break into feedback so easily.

The Pulse Wave kinda reminds me of a really shitty metal distortion from an early 90s multifx unit. Tight, aggressive and with a semblance of note separation, it's a total blast to play. The gating is nice to pair with the noisiness of the FF, but it doesn't lack sustain if you coax it out

Together, they just wanna wreck shit, and they do an admirable job of just that.

First time with one of the Hammond trapezoids, but I like it. They're a nice alternative to a horizontal BB. And, luckily, Hammond has the good sense to offer black matte sand, so that's what I went with 1000024599.jpg 1000024594.jpg
Here's ~10 minutes of raucous vintage fuzz-

No weird parts, no fussy tuning. Just two awesome fuzzes on some of the best PCBs you can find on this side of the Orion Arm.

Trapz rule for combo builds. I have an fy2 project brewing right now too. I've always struggled with the companion on it's own but at one point I put a 2 sticks of derm in front and really liked the result. Still had the reedy character but was more consistent, less sputtery.

Trapz rule for combo builds. I have an fy2 project brewing right now too. I've always struggled with the companion on it's own but at one point I put a 2 sticks of derm in front and really liked the result. Still had the reedy character but was more consistent, less sputtery.
I wasn't sure if as gonna like it, most of the YouTube demos are pretty meh. But it's damned fun on its own. Pumping into a cranked Rat is noisy as all get out, but it's heavy 🤘🏻🤘🏻

I've got a Two Sticks in the stack on the bench now, was thinking of pairing it with the Ginormous

Back