ElectroVibe Modifications Thread

I wish I could be more help but that’s an incredibly undesirable sound for me so I’m always trying to tweak away from that.

You need to have the Intensity up, speed down, lamp bright and offset width set high (wide sweep) to get the whomp.

I just did the mpsa13 switch for Q1 and Q2 and it just makes the light bulb stall... idk why
for the rest I went for the mpsa13 on the last Q, 3904's and the ledrate, alo the unity volume

Edit:

I have 2 vibes both identical cept for the ldrs. 1st one I can control the vibe with both speed knobs, on either speed 'stage', as I obtain a deeper vibe on speed 2

2nd vibe, I can only control the speed with 1 speed knob per stage, ex I control the vibe of speed 1 with knob 1 and 2 with knob 2 but not together ... I hope i got it explain right

Last edited:
What exactly does the Darlington phase mod do? What kind of sound should I expect?

What does the High Reliability mod do?

I have tried to read up on both but I don't understand.

What exactly does the Darlington phase mod do? What kind of sound should I expect?

What does the High Reliability mod do?

I have tried to read up on both but I don't understand.

A lot of the stuff in there is a bit outdated based on what I've been working on.

I would focus on the mods that actually change the character of the Vibe as well as solve the Volume drop issue.

A lot of the stuff in there is a bit outdated based on what I've been working on.

I would focus on the mods that actually change the character of the Vibe as well as solve the Volume drop issue.

The only one so far is volume mod for R4 and R2.

I was thinking of the low end mod once I bias the pedal.

It is not getting a lot of vibe unless I crank the knobs.

Full disclosure:

This is not normal.

It is not getting a lot of vibe unless I crank the knobs.

I caution doing anything further until it's making the basic Univibe noises.

Modifications are generally made on a pedal that is performing how it is supposed to. Nothing compounds already existing problems like making changes to something that is already not working as it should.

Play with the trimmers first using a light shield.

Full disclosure:

This is not normal.

I caution doing anything further until it's making the basic Univibe noises.

Modifications are generally made on a pedal that is performing how it is supposed to. Nothing compounds already existing problems like making changes to something that is already not working as it should.

Play with the trimmers first using a light shield.
Thanks. Gonna make a light shield tonight from a pot cover.

@Big Monk, as this forum’s resident univibe connoisseur, I’ve got a Q for you:
with the passing of Robbie Robertson (one of my biggest influences, and an often forgotten univibe user, especially on live stuff), I’ve developed a new interest in building a Vibe.

I gave this thread a look through, and I see that there’s a lot of mention of “tuning” the vibe for a stronger chorus mode sound, or for the vibrato mode sound, and how a strong chorus mode will result in a weak vibrato, or vice versa. Is this just in reference to the setting of the trim pots?

It seems that this could be solved by adding additional poles to the chorus/vibrato switch to allow for different trimpot tunings of chorus and vibrato— a 4pdt if both the gain and bias need to be changed for optimal results in both modes, but just a 3pdt if only bias needs to be changed, or a mere dpdt if only gain needs to be changed. In your experience, both controls that’s key to getting the optimal sound when going back and forth between chorus and vibrato, or will one of those two trimmers likely have a preferred setting that sounds best in both modes, and just the other needs to be tweaked when going between chorus and vibrato modes?

I think it should be easy enough for me to design a daughterboard for a switch with the appropriate number of throws and some trimmers to make it work best in both settings, but if just one trimmer is key to the chorus/vibrato switch sounding good, I might as well save the space in the layout.

Give me until tomorrow and I think I’m going to post up a bunch of stuff, including the Monk Vibe stuff Chuck and Bugg helped me with.

I don’t think I’ll be releasing that pedal commercially anymore but even if I did, I still want to post it here and revise this mod thread to just a basic set of mods.

Hello, any idea how to modify the speed section to have ramp up or ramp down effect when change the speed instead of immedetialy speed changes please?

Question,

Do you recommend the low end/phase notch caps mods? I’ve thought about putting a shit ton of sockets on the board to try different values (while it’s still on the bench) but I don’t recall seeing a lot of discussion about that mod in the thread

Question,

Do you recommend the low end/phase notch caps mods? I’ve thought about putting a shit ton of sockets on the board to try different values (while it’s still on the bench) but I don’t recall seeing a lot of discussion about that mod in the thread

Not really.

The biggest bang for the buck is C8 to 2.2u and the Speed resistors to 1.5-2.2k.

Maybe the unity gain stuff if you need it.

Unless your willing to change all the transistors to darlingtons and rebias, the rest is not worth it.

Back