Enclosure Drilling

I recently got that drill press from harbor freight and it is awesome. Definitely a huge improvement from my handheld drill.
Which one did you get? I saw that they replaced the central machinery line of benchtop drill presses with Bauer machines that look pretty nice for the price. Thinking of grabbing one in the future to keep on the workbench so I don’t have to futz around with the belts on the big old Rockwell that I use for woodworking stuff.

Which one did you get? I saw that they replaced the central machinery line of benchtop drill presses with Bauer machines that look pretty nice for the price. Thinking of grabbing one in the future to keep on the workbench so I don’t have to futz around with the belts on the big old Rockwell that I use for woodworking stuff.
Yea that's the one I got, just the 8 inch 5 speed one. It's rad, compact enough to keep in my office when I'm not using it and then I can take it out to my workspace outside when doing the drilling.

First I hammer a nail in the right spots (marked with pen on masking tape). Then I drill the hole with the smallest drill I got that doesn't break too easily (1,5mm), and check alignment. Then I grab the actual hand drill bit, but always 0,5mm too small. I then use along elongated cone file to fix those miniscule mistakes up/down/left/right, whatever way the drill would slightly slip. Not slick without the nuts, but beats buying a press drill (I have limited space).

Last edited:
I picked up a used drill press for next to nothing years ago, when I really didn't have the space for it, but am so glad I've kept it alive.

These days I eyeball the markings (unless it's a complex pedal or something I can easily use one of the PedalPCB guides for), use a center punch then a stepped drill bit, checking and adjusting as I go.

Amazing how often I still screw up by rushing though

I picked up a used drill press for next to nothing years ago, when I really didn't have the space for it, but am so glad I've kept it alive.

These days I eyeball the markings (unless it's a complex pedal or something I can easily use one of the PedalPCB guides for), use a center punch then a stepped drill bit, checking and adjusting as I go.

Amazing how often I still screw up by rushing though

When I eventually leave this dorm-y home, the drill press is my first hardware purchase. Screw the dryer and other convenient household items!

I use pre-drilled whenever possible. But when I have to do all drilling or partial, I use the paper template to see which holes to use my Keech Designs 3d printed template which I use to mark holes with a center punch.
I then go on the drill press and use a small center drill to do pilot holes where I punched. Finally I drill to size with a Christmas tree bit.
I did spring for the upgraded Harbor Freight drill press which has a CV speed control, so I can reduce speed on the fly as progress to the larger sizes on the Christmas tree bit.
And use kerosene, WD40 (which is kero based) or aluminum cutting fluid as aluminum LOVES to gall up bits otherwise!

I use pre-drilled whenever possible. But when I have to do all drilling or partial, I use the paper template to see which holes to use my Keech Designs 3d printed template which I use to mark holes with a center punch.
I then go on the drill press and use a small center drill to do pilot holes where I punched. Finally I drill to size with a Christmas tree bit.
I did spring for the upgraded Harbor Freight drill press which has a CV speed control, so I can reduce speed on the fly as progress to the larger sizes on the Christmas tree bit.
And use kerosene, WD40 (which is kero based) or aluminum cutting fluid as aluminum LOVES to gall up bits otherwise!
WD40 is usually my go-to for machining aluminum, but on enclosures I use rubbing alcohol since I letter and clear coat after drilling, and I don't want to deal with residue. It's not 100% as good as WD40, but with the zero clean-up I think it's a good trade off.

WD40 is usually my go-to for machining aluminum, but on enclosures I use rubbing alcohol since I letter and clear coat after drilling, and I don't want to deal with residue. It's not 100% as good as WD40, but with the zero clean-up I think it's a good trade off.
Wonder if a mild dish soap would provide the same benefits? That would also wash off w/o residue.

That said for enclosures I need to paint, I always clean with acetone first, so I rarely have to worry about cutting oil residue, but if I can avoid it in the first place I’m willing to try the alcohol or maybe soap

Back