FA-1 FET amplifier

mybud

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Can't quite recall where I came across this one, but I'm auditioning various boost/preamp front ends for my upcoming combo bass build.

I started out breadboarding Aion's Prism:

temporary_breadboard.jpg

and then remembered I had some of our esteemed constituent @Robert's permanent breadboards to hand.

permanent_breadboard.jpeg

Finished the permanent version, using one of said breadboards. And housed the little beauty as below:

polyhedron.jpg

No gut shot, because it's messy spaghetti and I had to cover some exposed resistor leads with shrink wrap to prevent an intermittent short. I ended up mounting the board upside down because there wasn't enough slack in the pot leads, and on it goes. But it works and is an interesting option for the aforementioned combo build.

It seems very forgiving when it comes to the JFET front end (I auditioned a few of them, all of which worked: 2N5457, 2N5458, 2N5485, MPF201). It's a (dare I say it?) buffer, so probably not critical.

Op-amp choices are equally open (Brian at Madbean recommends 4580DD, which I don't have, and Kevin at Aion a 4558 or 1458) so I used an LM1458. I like this pedal a lot: plenty of gain and the active Baxandall EQ (with or without the low cut option) provides natural sounding low end and as much treble as I'm likely to need, given my Tele is already quite bright. Nice and versatile tone-shaping options on bass, too.

Also goes by the name of Fireaxe (see @Guardians of the analog's build report on this one), and Kevin's is called the Prism (legacy and updated versions available). Glad to find a candidate for one of @Robert's permanent breadboards: useful nifty devices for making a temporary situation less so.

How well does that permanent breadboard fit in a 125b? Awesome build!
Thanks, man. It’s fairly tight, but manageable if allowing for sufficient slack in the offboard leads, especially pots in this case. I don’t have the visual smarts to figure out how to do PCB-mount pots, which would probably be a much easier fit in the long run. 125B is the minimum; it won’t clear the sides of a 1590B, as in too wide.

Back