FET/Germanium Boost (Mountain Oyster Boost)

Brett

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Another board that was generously sent to me by @fig!

Thank you to @Chuck D. Bones (circuit design), @cooder (PCB design), and @fig (for the logistics).

I have very little experience (so far) with germanium transistors so I wasn't sure what to expect with this one other than a boost. It's so much more than a boost though! The toggle switch was cleverly designed by @Chuck D. Bones to deliver three very unique sounds. I'm confident that this one is going to stay on the board because it seems incredibly useful.

I ended up using a 2N5246 in Q1 (generously sent to me by @Chuck D. Bones, thanks!) tested with -1.46v Vp and 4.27mA Idss. I haven't fully committed to the germanium that's shown in the gut shot, so I'm leaving that one socketed temporarily.

You're probably thinking, he installed the JFET the wrong way. The 2N5246 has a different pinout than the footprint on the PCB. I learned this the hard way when I tested the first 2N5246 for Vp and released ALL of the magic smoke, lol.

Enclosure is Tayda matte dark grey with UV printing and UV spot gloss.

Thanks to all those involved in the creation of this one! It was a fun build and I'm really digging it so far!
IMG_1611.JPG IMG_1613.JPG IMG_1610.JPG

That is seriously some tight work there! Fantastic job! Chuck did an awesome job on this circuit.

Astonishing! 👀

Man you are dropping some major inspiration today. Kudos.

Awesome work. Love the gloss effect!
Thank you all so much! I think we all strive to inspire each other here, I’ve definitely been inspired by the amazing work I’ve seen from you all as well!

@Brett I'm gonna echo what's already been said but that's some serious next level work both inside and the out. Super clean builds and I think the graphics on this one is my favorite. Ingenious and creative. I wish I had some of that creativity in me.

@Brett I'm gonna echo what's already been said but that's some serious next level work both inside and the out. Super clean builds and I think the graphics on this one is my favorite. Ingenious and creative. I wish I had some of that creativity in me.
I'm really proud of how this one came out. I put a decent amount of time into these graphics and it means a lot that folks appreciate them. Thank you so much @MichaelW!

Hit me up some time if you get the itch to add graphics to one of your projects, but only ONE of your projects... :ROFLMAO:. I'm kidding, hit me up anytime dude! I enjoy doing this stuff and since having to close my 10+ year small business down in the latter part of last year, I've had a little spare time on my hands. I'd be happy to help you

Back