Few different pedal builds on eyelet & stripboard

Thought i would show a couple of my latest Builds

The first build was a Burns Buzz Around using a eyelet board. Most of my components were purchased from Amplified Parts - except for the Q3 transistor that i had a stash of! This was my first build that started on breadboard prior to building. I tested all my transistors using the tagboard effects GE tester layout. One thing i am finding with testing transistors is a lack of stability in measurements (e.g. the voltage/leakage never really stabilising - whether this is a flaw in my tester or the transistors being too leaky I am not sure!). Regardless, on breadboard the pedal sounded great. I did find once built, it was a little temperamental and this is perhaps due to the q3 transistor however the bias knob has made me able to always find a useable sound. Biggest lesson i learnt from this one was to test the breadboard circuit more before committing. I'd love a peak atlas to rule out any errors on my behalf however they are not cheap in Australia and i may not get my money's worth.

Screenshot 2024-09-28 at 2.31.34 pm.png Screenshot 2024-09-28 at 2.31.09 pm.png

My wife helped with the pedal design and dazatronyx in Melbourne does the UV printing for me.

Second build was a Fuzz Face and RM build using the amplified parts layout (and design). Its a hybrid GE / Silicone Fuzz Face and GE RM (using a darlington pair).
Once again i breadboarded both pedals and I am really happy with the results. The fuzz face cleans up nicely, The RM is slightly noisy however both sound amazing through my laney amp. The RM could use a little more power filtering on the RM side however I am tempted to leave it as is.

Screenshot 2024-09-28 at 2.36.33 pm.png Screenshot 2024-09-28 at 2.36.47 pm.png

The last build is the Dane from thorpyFX using tagboard effects layout. It includes the switchable transistors on the boost (GE or zener).
Once again, designed by my wife and printed by Dazatronyx. I really do not enjoy anything more then 3 knobs on a tagboard build!

Screenshot 2024-09-28 at 2.32.32 pm.png Screenshot 2024-09-28 at 2.32.45 pm.png

These are all sick! Great job man. The eyelet board gives such a cool vintage vibe
Thanks Man. I half wish i did the FF and RM on eyelet or turret as well however the amplified parts stripboard was a nice vintage style board too. Eyelet board was also a bit easier to wire in the pots - the dane was a pain in the ass !

These all look great - really digging the artwork on them too. The Buzzaround's art is a great look for the bare enclosure.
thanks man. The fuzz face was a direct copy of your guys design :) so thanks for the influence. The buzz around took some time to get right but i think it worked pretty well - was originally going to be hieroglyphics and then went with a matrix style 'worn look'.

Do you like the master volume on the Buzzaround? I've built a couple stock Buzzarounds and felt like the Balance control (as odd as its implementation is) works as an effective volume control. I didn't find much of a timbre difference in its rotation, but maybe it'd be more noticeable with a master volume to balance the level out.

Do you like the master volume on the Buzzaround? I've built a couple stock Buzzarounds and felt like the Balance control (as odd as its implementation is) works as an effective volume control. I didn't find much of a timbre difference in its rotation, but maybe it'd be more noticeable with a master volume to balance the level out.
Yeah I basically added one as a few people had commented that taming it was quite difficult given the interaction between balance/timbre it just became very very loud. It was a very easy addition so i felt adding it would make it super easy to play around with settings more.

My biggest issue is i had a perfect effect on breadboard and then when i started using it boxxed up the fuzz characteristics started to change (e.g. after 10min of use the fuzz started to fizzle). It may be that my q3 transistor was too leaky however it fell into the right 'specs' when i chose it. Voltages varied massively depending on when i measure them. I ended up increasing the resistance on the collector (from memory) and then added with the bias was able to get it to be more consistent but will be interesting in the middle of summer here whether it becomes difficult again!

My biggest issue is i had a perfect effect on breadboard and then when i started using it boxxed up the fuzz characteristics started to change (e.g. after 10min of use the fuzz started to fizzle). It may be that my q3 transistor was too leaky however it fell into the right 'specs' when i chose it. Voltages varied massively depending on when i measure them. I ended up increasing the resistance on the collector (from memory) and then added with the bias was able to get it to be more consistent but will be interesting in the middle of summer here whether it becomes difficult again!
Germanium is really temp sensitive. Ideally, you should measure at whatever the “standard inside the effect box’es” temperature is. Not easy, especially if you play out. I always use tweezers to hold them while I attach the little testing clips on, which seems like a reasonable compromise.

Edited to add: really lovely work, inside and out.

Back