Finished my Binaural build!

Thanks @Cybercow.

I've got a bunch of FV-1 PedalPCB boards on hand and most (all?) came with an EEPROM. After popping the Binaura I realised I couldn't remember if it had come with EEPROM — and if so, my what a challenging hunt that would've created. Go figure my first FV-1 build is going to be the most complicated for me.

Nice! Yes, I'd recommend using switched input jacks tied together so you can have Mono > Stereo operation.

It'll fit in a BB without issues using the mini Lumberg style DC jack.
Would using switched jacks on the outputs also work? Or would this potentially lead to phase issues? It would be cool to have all options available, mono > mono, mono > stereo, Stereo > mono and full stereo

Finally finished this pedal after I had the PCB populated for the last month. Seems like I got it together properly without a build doc. I have my inputs tied with a switching jack on one of the inputs so I can run mono or stereo in. Left it set as independent stereo outs. Not sure if I want to add a switching jack there to sun to mono or not yet. Guess I’ll do some testing.

For now I’m using the algorithm from the DBA rooms reverb till I can get some stereo algorithms done myself.

Thanks @Robert for the limited release of these.
That looks very cool! Have you tried it with other algorithms already?

I was wondering if you tried using switched output jacks in the end? If so, did this work well or do you run into phase issues?

Would using switched jacks on the outputs also work? Or would this potentially lead to phase issues? It would be cool to have all options available, mono > mono, mono > stereo, Stereo > mono and full stereo
That would depend on the patches used. Some patches may not work well when the output of one channel is fed into the input of the other channel.

That would depend on the patches used. Some patches may not work well when the output of one channel is fed into the input of the other channel.
Although feeding one channel back into the other would also be cool to try, that is not what I'm after. I want the FV-1 channels to be separate, thus true stereo, and do any splitting or summing outside of the FV-1.

With switched jacks on the input you could go from stereo to mono when only one input jack is plugged in (after that it would be split again to bring it to stereo in the FV-1). This would work well when the effect is engaged, because of the input buffers, but not sure if this works well when (true) bypassed, since you just sum the two input jacks together without any signal treatment. The same holds for the two outputs. You could use switched jacks to sum them back to mono, but I guess you might run into phase cancelation issues. Also, in pedal bypass state you would sum the signals together passively, without any buffering, which is probably problematic.

Or am I missing something?

I would normal the right jacks to the left jacks. That gives you

L -> L
L -> L & R
L & R -> L
L & R -> L & R

You can’t mix the two outputs to mono by bridging them, but you can have all the combos above.

I would normal the right jacks to the left jacks. That gives you

L -> L
L -> L & R
L & R -> L
L & R -> L & R

You can’t mix the two outputs to mono by bridging them, but you can have all the combos above.
Thanks, that's a good suggestion. For the L & R -> L option you would have to link the processed inputs to both outputs though, losing true stereo. But then again, that seems to be how most stereo pedals do it.

I wonder if the linked inputs when using mono in would give any issues in true bypass, since you're splitting/copying a signal without any buffering. Do you have any experience with that?

I wonder if the linked inputs when using mono in would give any issues in true bypass, since you're splitting/copying a signal without any buffering. Do you have any experience with that?

This is how the prototype was built and works perfectly fine.

@JUSS10
Good work!

When were the Binaural PCBs made available?
I’d been waiting for years to get one!
Are there plans to release more?

Last edited:
Mine's popped, except for a few necessary sundries such as that durned crystal, and an EEPROM loaded with stereo FX.

Reactions: fig
The boards on PedalPCB are not very good, they are noisy. Power wiring requires other options, 5V-3.3V, 12V and -12V, then there will be less background. I have bought several and they are all very noisy. Topanga was generally a fake, the wrong board and eeprom does not fit from it, there are other management sweats, it’s a pity for the money spent, the boards are lying, they can be thrown into the trash, this is a hoax.

The boards on PedalPCB are not very good, they are noisy. Power wiring requires other options, 5V-3.3V, 12V and -12V, then there will be less background. I have bought several and they are all very noisy. Topanga was generally a fake, the wrong board and eeprom does not fit from it, there are other management sweats, it’s a pity for the money spent, the boards are lying, they can be thrown into the trash, this is a hoax.
I disagree. I find that PedalPCB boards are of excellent quality. Please clarify what you mean about the "5V, 3.3V, 12V and -12V" voltages - I don't know of any PedalPCB board that uses those voltage rails. And what is "Topanga"?

B6u0P_TCcAAgQia.jpg

I disagree. I find that PedalPCB boards are of excellent quality. Please clarify what you mean about the "5V, 3.3V, 12V and -12V" voltages - I don't know of any PedalPCB board that uses those voltage rails. And what is "Topanga"?
Topanga is a Catalinbread reverb pedal. I'm not aware of a pedalpcb offering that compares to it

I mean only boards for FV-1. I bought 4 boards for FV-1 from PedalPCB, made 2 and even bought Catalinbread Topanga specifically to make a copy of the firmware. The boards were sold as Topanga, it turned out that this is a standard scheme that does not fit the programming code, the sweats are different, the settings are adjusted incorrectly. It was later discontinued as Catalinbread Topanga. Later I made other, more complex projects, with the right power supply (2x field and 1117-3V3 transistors) they did not emit white noise. If silence in sound is important to you, these boards are not suitable. If it's just interest, then great. 1FV.jpg

I mean only boards for FV-1. I bought 4 boards for FV-1 from PedalPCB, made 2 and even bought Catalinbread Topanga specifically to make a copy of the firmware. The boards were sold as Topanga, it turned out that this is a standard scheme that does not fit the programming code, the sweats are different, the settings are adjusted incorrectly. It was later discontinued as Catalinbread Topanga. Later I made other, more complex projects, with the right power supply (2x field and 1117-3V3 transistors) they did not emit white noise. If silence in sound is important to you, these boards are not suitable. If it's just interest, then great.View attachment 49990
Life gets a lot easier when we look in the mirror and accept that the majority of our problems are self inflicted… sorry to hear you are not having a good time.

Back