Fix the mystery amp

jhaneyzz

I'm waiting on the mail to come to complete the 4 pedals currently in the queue, leaving me wondering what to spend the 3 day weekend on...

This tube amp was given to me my my local guitar shop several years ago. It was built by a former employee of the shop and I can't be 100% sure it has ever worked. I've never done anything with it because, until recently, I have adhered to a strict vow of low voltage... I've weaned myself on a few tube pedals now and have a good sense of how not to get zapped so I want to take this on. Definitely going to bin the butt-ugly enclosure so no worries there.

So... Where does one begin diagnosing problems with a tube amp? looking at you @RetiredUnit1 ...

Dirty secret... I've never actually played a guitar through a tube amp, so this is definitely a life goal checklist item.

IMG_6798.jpg
IMG_6796.jpg

IMG_6797.jpg

It appears that the main circuit board is upside down, showing only the soldered part of the connections. I would not trust the work of someone that does something so "not by the book". I would think maybe probably everything else, including the safety grounding system is "not by the book" and that can be deadly.

There's a lot of good $#!+ in that amp. A large chassis probably in the $65 range, sprague caps at 15 each. Not sure what the black can caps are or even WHY anyone would put some much power capacity on what is probably a 5w amp. But all the parts probably add up to at least $250.

I did find this about the power transformer from Hammond. By any chance are both the gray and black wires connected??? Because if they are you need a new power transformer!

My wholesale cost on power + output transformers for a champ are $48 + $16 and drop shipping is 10%.................................

1689372040752.png

It's this cool thing where a bunch of bands set up on the porches and lawns of homes along Cook Street and Grove Avenue, in the heart of downtown Barrington. 3-6 p.m. Saturday, July 22. I swore I'd get a band together but another year has come and gone. It was a cool deal last year, with a few houses setting up bars and water. It's just a few blocks from James and I.

It's this cool thing where a bunch of bands set up on the porches and lawns of homes along Cook Street and Grove Avenue, in the heart of downtown Barrington. 3-6 p.m. Saturday, July 22. I swore I'd get a band together but another year has come and gone. It was a cool deal last year, with a few houses setting up bars and water. It's just a few blocks from James and I.
Well I'm definitely interested if you guys are going to be hanging out. I think I have something going on sometime next weekend but I can't for the life of me remember what it is or exactly when, so I'll check in with you guys sometime next week.

I don't suppose there's any other forum members in the area, surely it can't just be the three of us? I think I had someone in Hoffman Estates buy some PCBs from me, not sure if he's on the forum though.

1689640793052.png

I'm at 528 South Cook, Barrington IL.

The best band last year was on my porch and we've got dibs on them forever.

It's a my age, his son on acoustics playing lots of classic rock standards. His daughter joins for some as well. They're super talented.

I loaned the son a couple of pedals last year.

URL for the event:

Last year there were a dozen or so bands last year

We're going to have beer and wine, NA bevs, "bags" and some seating.

There's pretty good shade in the front by the band.

Feel free to hang out after. my back yard is a pretty epic spot to hang out and have drinks.
Last year the younger guitarist hung around and played pedals for an hour.

I've got zero planned so all are welcome.

I know exactly what that amp needs.

2x 3 inch drivers, a battery pack, and a AliExpress 2.1 class d amp with built in Bluetooth receiver.

Could probably sale the toob and get it all.

And don't forget the instrument level input for next year's Porchapalooza.

Back