Tiny tube amp

Fuzzonaut

My first tube amp! Woo-hoo!

I've been thinking about building a tube amp for a while now, but high voltages, high costs, high number of working hours ... had me hesitating.
Maybe I just wasn't high enough to order anything, until I stumbled across this tiny stereo amp by Uraltone.
Actually, I was checking out their big boy bass amps (Giant and Model T), got cold feet and then moved over to the Hi-Fi section to have a look.

After ordering the kit, I thought about reading up on high voltage tube stuff, but then actually never did as I was saying to myself "Well, can't hurt to solder the resistors, that's a piece of pie anyway, I'll read up after that". Then the same procedure with caps ... and suddenly the thing was ready to be tested.

Test went fine, tuning went fine, it sounds great through headphones, enough power and absolutely no hum at all.

It's designed around EL95 and 6N2 tubes. Produces around 1W per channel, I think. The cute little transformer are pretty heavy, I'd say the whole amp weighs about 2.5 kg.

ural-1.jpeg

ural-2.jpeg

Cool amp!

"URAL" suggests Russian, but "KANKAANPÄÄ" (umlauts aside) made me think Thai. 😸

I'd like to eventually build some Hi-Fi tube projects; I guess now that your tube-cherry's been burst...

...you're ready now to build the Giant or the Model T!

¿Por qué no construir ambos?

Cool amp!

"URAL" suggests Russian, but "KANKAANPÄÄ" (umlauts aside) made me think Thai. 😸

I'd like to eventually build some Hi-Fi tube projects; I guess now that your tube-cherry's been burst...

...you're ready now to build the Giant or the Model T!

¿Por qué no construir ambos?

Ha, I might be closer to being ready now, but my wallet sure isn't.

¿Ambos?

loco-crazy.gif

Back