Fordable Drive (ThorpyFX "The Dane")

Awesome. Really looking forward to finishing this build and seeing just how great it is. I've been looking for a departure from the trusty Bluesbreaker and T.S overdrives.
Last week I finished a JHS VCR clone and it sounds killer. My first time encountering a Spin chip and oscillator crystals
See, different strokes for different blokes!
I love the Boost & Chorus, Hate the Reverb with a passion!!!

Awesome. Really looking forward to finishing this build and seeing just how great it is. I've been looking for a departure from the trusty Bluesbreaker and T.S overdrives.
Last week I finished a JHS VCR clone and it sounds killer. My first time encountering a Spin chip and oscillator crystals
You're going to love this build! Cant wait to se your build report!

I built the VCR man that chorus does sound good! In fact the whole thing does! I can already see the rabbit hole the FV1 has created :ROFLMAO:

You're going to love this build! Cant wait to se your build report!

I built the VCR man that chorus does sound good! In fact the whole thing does! I can already see the rabbit hole the FV1 has created :ROFLMAO:
Oh yeah, I absolutely love the sound of the VCR... I wanted one when they came out but it was a little steep at the time. I waited for a deal on the used market and then Ryan Adams got canceled, so now those pedals are selling for more than they were new...
it's a phenomenal pedal for those 80's tones. Kinda reminds me of those clean tones from the Rockman you hear on Def Leppard's "Hysteria".

See, different strokes for different blokes!
I love the Boost & Chorus, Hate the Reverb with a passion!!!
The Reverb can be a bit much, and goes from "subtle" to "unusable" really quick... I think Ryan runs his about 11 o'clock on all. The pedal shines in a mostly clean setting... If you hit it with too much drive, it kinda goes haywire...
I've been running it with a Silver Sky Se and a Gretsch White Falcon into a 69 Bandmaster Reverb and Reissue 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb... Pushed slightly with my V1 Keeley Katana and Bluesbreaker builds, and it sounds killer. If you kick in another gain pedal (JHS 3 Series Screamer in my case), it gets unruly.

Welcome to the circus! You couldn't have landed in a better place, some super helpful folks around here. re: the Ge diodes, yes any Ge diode will do but most folks have their preferences of which kind. The main spec you'll be wanting to look for is forward voltage (Vf). There's really no "right or wrong" value but depending on the Vf they will sound a little different. Most folks will shoot for the "standard" set by the venerable Klon circuit (Vf ~.250mv-.350mv). Having said that, the Ge diodes in THIS particular circuit (The Dane) on the boost side is really subtle.

The real genius of the boost pedal is the "lows" control. It can add girth and depth without adding gain or changing the nature of the guitar sound.

Re: the toggle switching for the caps, I suggest posting that question on the "Modifications" forum. Lots of super knowledgeable folks always ready to help.
Hey Michael, sorry to bother you again. So I'm kinda stuck on the diode thing again. Schematic calls for two 1N747a's. I went with Red Band Russian Germaniums i mentionedpreviously. Been waiting for the Bezos boys to send me th 1N747a's to finish the build, but the shipment keeps getting delayed... I've gotten a dozen "package arrived at carrier facility" notifications but still nothing. Seller recieved A BUNCH of negative reviews in the last two weeks for the same issue, so I'm cancelling. I went in search of those diodes elsewhere and only saw one source (Mouser) saying these diodes are "obsolete" with only one or two suggested alternatives linked below. Just curious what you used in your build. I have a ton of diodes already, mostly shtocky (sp?). Does it really matter, and curious why a builder would use an obsolete part in a relatively new pedal?

Hey Michael, sorry to bother you again. So I'm kinda stuck on the diode thing again. Schematic calls for two 1N747a's. I went with Red Band Russian Germaniums i mentionedpreviously. Been waiting for the Bezos boys to send me th 1N747a's to finish the build, but the shipment keeps getting delayed... I've gotten a dozen "package arrived at carrier facility" notifications but still nothing. Seller recieved A BUNCH of negative reviews in the last two weeks for the same issue, so I'm cancelling. I went in search of those diodes elsewhere and only saw one source (Mouser) saying these diodes are "obsolete" with only one or two suggested alternatives linked below. Just curious what you used in your build. I have a ton of diodes already, mostly shtocky (sp?). Does it really matter, and curious why a builder would use an obsolete part in a relatively new pedal?
I would say use any shottky that have the same vf as the 1N747a. I believe you’re looking for 3.6v.

If you’re hard pressed on needing those exact ones I can send you a pair. As long as you can cover the postage. 🤟

They are 3.6V 0.5W Zener diodes.

///

Great build, Mike. The oxblood and cream is a winning combo.
Hey Benny, just saw your comment on the Zener diodes. I used Red Band (D9?) Germaniums for the "GE" and am having trouble getting the 1N747a's. Mouser says they're "obsolete". The only Zener Diodes I have on hand are 1N4752a's (12v, 1w). They measure UF=783mv, C=31pf

Hey @ChrsGuit ANY 3.6v Zener diode will work, it does not have to be 1N747A.
I bought a Zener "kit" from Amazon with a lot of different values and used a 3.6v from in there.
Having said that, other members have posted that those diodes don't make any difference in the sound in or out and have left them out of their build.

Hey @ChrsGuit ANY 3.6v Zener diode will work, it does not have to be 1N747A.
I bought a Zener "kit" from Amazon with a lot of different values and used a 3.6v from in there.
Having said that, other members have posted that those diodes don't make any difference in the sound in or out and have left them out of their build.
Awesome. I need to get one of the Zener kits myself. Have plenty of Schottkys... Thats how i got most of my initial parts stocks. I had read some of those as well, and unfortunately my skill level hasn't quite wrapped around to the point of understanding you can just leave parts out in some situations 😅

Last edited:
Just finished my build... now to test it out... From the demos I've seen, this will really be killer with my John Mayer Strat and 1966 Super Reverb

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230429_222759_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230429_222759_Gallery.jpg
    878.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20230429_222813_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230429_222813_Gallery.jpg
    740.9 KB · Views: 17
Back