Future of the J201 - Moving forward

Should JFET designs omit the through-hole pads and just use SMD pads (for transistors)?

• SMD

Votes: 28 75.7%
  • Through-Hole

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters
I certainly won't call it the best or easiest way, but I just solder them to one of the SOT23 adapters (with pins installed) when I want to test them on my DCA75.

A DCA55 or 75 is definitely on my list. The dinky component tester only goes so far. Its fine for SMD Fets but doesn’t give me a clue about old GE components haha

SMD-only is logical and not going to be an issue for many, but I'm concerned that people new to pedal building or new to soldering are going to have a lot of trouble with SMD stuff. I suggest that projects which require them include a warning on the project page, as well as possibly a supplemental alignment illustration in the project .pdf.

So....the J201's i bought off eBay most likely not be good ? I went to Tadya and put in my cart the SMD 201"s for my next order and ill get the boards here from PedalPCB any other JFET's i need to worry about be hard to obtain with out paying a arm and leg for ?

It is what is is on parts and don't mind using SMD unfortunately its the trend going forward ... The KTR went SMD i under stand that , but a lot of us are old school on things , im that way but learning new things keeps me sharpe..well, i would like to think so anyway ! lol

Mike

It only dawned on me recently that different makes have different product codes for the SMD J201:

On semiconductor: MMBFJ201
InterFet: SMPJ201
Vishay: SST201

Maybe we could have a list? I've been waiting two months for MMBFJ201's to be available in the UK, if I'd twigged earlier that the MMBFJ201 was only On semiconductors product code, not the product code for all SMD J201s I might have been able to get some earlier.

These cheapo components testers are pretty slick and have pads for SMD.
Sorry, I completely missed your post Nostradoomus, I have a similar device

JFET - 2.jpg

This is the results I get for a MMBF5458... Now I need to go a learn what it's telling me! A quick look at the data sheet and I'm none the wiser :(

(The JFET was pushed down onto the pads to get the reading)

This gives you one point on the transfer function. The Vg displayed is actually -1.0V. It looks like a healthy device, that's about all we can tell. That tester looks pretty slick, I just ordered one.

Last edited:
Thanks Chuck D. Bones,

I feel I'm pulling this thread off topic so will start a new thread regarding JFETS.

Back