Fuzz Foundry Deluxe- Subcortical Fuzz.

Synchrony Pedalworks

I wanted to label this pedal “Subcortical Fuzz,” but there is not much space left in the pedal for lettering. I am training as a neuroscientist, and this pedal remind me of our Subcortical regions of the brain. (Nerd alert!). In our subcortical region there are many nuclei (like the pots on this pedal) that help modulate and refine our movements. If you have problem in any of the nuclei, your movements may be negatively effected and less refined. The best example is Parkinson’s disease. The pots in this pedal remind me of the these nuclei. You can produce some lovely fuzz with this pedal, but over or under tweak a knob and “holy hell” breaks loose.

Now, on the build…. I am glad that I drilled the holes and soldered the pots and switches with the enclosure. Otherwise, I think I would have had a tough time boxing it. I would totally recommend the AC128’s that I got from Stompbox parts. My Q2 is ~70 hFe and Q3 is ~ 100-110 hFe. It was worth the $19 for the two transistors.

Now, for the help request….Long time a go, I bought a Fuzz Factory that was lovely (even with the glitter paint 🤣). I sold it to get a Chase Bliss Factory (Didn’t pay over original, manufacturing price!). Ironically, I thought the glitter Fuzz Factory sounded better than the Bliss Factory. I wanted the Bliss Factory to have the midi settings. I thought my guitars might “appreciate” their own setting. 🤦🏻‍♂️However, I discovered that I don’t use the midi capability much. I also think this new pedal is quieter than the Bliss Factory’s background sizzle. So, would you all sell the Bliss Factory or keep it as a collector’s item?

PS- The Bliss Factory is pictured, sulking in the background of PedalPCB’s great pedal. 🤣 4853CF29-3074-4F63-A5C6-F23657707924.jpeg B1EBD2AA-A2D8-4881-B99E-2CE589336EA3.jpeg

One last question- Do you feel that lower gain transistors would work well for the AC128’s? I was thinking of building a second one, but with hFe’s of Q2 @ 60-70 and Q3 80-90

One last question- Do you feel that lower gain transistors would work well for the AC128’s? I was thinking of building a second one, but with hFe’s of Q2 @ 60-70 and Q3 80-90
Yeah, those will work fine. I"ve gone down to the 30's hfe on fuzz factories just fine. Zvex stopped using fuzz face values over a decade ago.

Back