Fuzzolo - Winner of Buddy's Contest 2023

BuddytheReow

Breadboard Baker
This is the winning submission from Buddy's Contest held at the beginning of this year. The contest was to simply design a circuit that can fit inside a 125b enclosure. Many of you submitted something and I was honestly surprised at the level of involvement from you all. I'm really leaning toward having another one starting after the holiday season to kick off the new year. Different rules this time. Yea, I know it's now November and my contest ended over 6 months ago. I've got a backlog just like the rest of ya :cool:

Anywho, this was the winning submission by @KR Sound in which he dubbed this the "Fuzzolo". Looking under the hood it is a combo of a tweaked Jordan Bosstone and a EA tremolo, both switchable. I was greatly impressed with this submission simply from watching it go from a breadboard to a PCB and all boxed up. For the record, boxing it up wasn't a requirement of the contest, but KR Sound went above and beyond. Kudos to you @KR Sound !!!!!!

For the build itself, it was pretty straightforward. I cannibalized another project for the JFETs and luckily they were still good. The bitch was drilling everything by hand; there is no drill template for a 9 pot build, so I had to whip out a ruler and extend the 6 pot version. The problem I had was the switches and I really should have populated them after drilling the enclosure and mounted everything before committing to solder. The switches didn't align properly and I had to bore out the holes a bit more. Washers make everything better :devilish: . I did test the circuit before boxing it up and everything was a go. After putting the offboard components in the circuit didn't work. Seriously?!?!?! WTF... Turns out I had some cold joints between the switch and the board. That was about an hour of troubleshooting to figure that one out.

As KR Sound mentioned in his build, the tremolo section has a built in boost. When engaged, I have to dial the volume back to nearly off. When only the fuzz is engaged I gotta crank it up. The rate indicator is always on in this circuit, but not a big deal. The CLIP switch doesn't really change anything, but it's nice to have. Turn off the FUZZ and TREM and it's pretty much bypass. A happy accident? Maybe. For the record I'm not knocking KR Sound in any way. I still think this was really cool of him to try the whole experience out as a first go around. My diptrace skills are crap so credit where credit is due.

How does it sound? Like a Jordan Bosstone with more low end thrown in there. Does it do well on guitar? Yes. Does it do well on bass? No, but it's good enough. Most fuzzes and hard clippers take out some bottom end, but there's enough still in there to keep me happy.

With the colder weather moving in fast here in the US, the enclosure artwork may take some time to finish. I need to wait for some warmer days to get out the rattle cans, but I may say F it and do it in my garage.

@KR Sound you made a hell of a circuit that works on both guitar and bass. If you've got extra boards or the gerber files handy I'm sure others would love to experience what you offered. Hats off to you!

1699042072112.png
1699042086660.png

Appreciate that so much! There were a lot of things I would’ve or want to change- and you mentioned them all. I think did the clipping setup different than I had breadboarded, but it was my second time laying anything out. It might just require a reordering of the diodes and LEDs. Maybe?

Thanks for taking the time to build it, that means a lot. I’d be more than happy to send off a board or share the Gerber if anyone wants one- just let me know!

Back