VHS -- aka Primary Colors

chris.knudson

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I have to say that I'm kind of proud of this one. I really wanted to enjoy this pedal, and I absolutely love it in so many ways.

First, this thing is a throw back to the 80s. Besides an EQ pedal (which was my first), my first three pedals were a chorus, a boost and a reverb, and this pedal delivers all three in one box. The 80s were a time of analog video, but audio was starting to go digital. At the time, I was working in broadcasting, and I looked at a lot of color bars - all day long. When I was building this pedal, it was like a flashback to the early days when I was just starting out in broadcasting and cutting my teeth in digital audio recording.

I tried to to bring that out in the design of this pedal. Up to this point, most of my pedal designs were just a means to an end (I've got this cool circuit, but I can't put it into a blank box, so let me just throw some random graphics on it). This one was different.

In thinking about the VCR/VHS theme, I kept thinking about the days when I spent the day working in broadcasting and the nights recording in my buddy's studio. I tried to meld all of this into the design of this pedal. The color bars represent my day job, the color blocks above represent how I spent my nights, and the Boost, Chorus, and Reverb represent my earliest days as a musician. The white LED is representative of bringing the primary colors together R + G + B = White.

As far as the pedal goes -- this is probably the most versatile pedal l've built to date. I wasn't sure how one control knob and a toggle switch would work for each effect, but I have to say, it's just about perfect. The knobs determine the level of the effect, the toggle switch turns the effect on and off, and the only one that changes unity gain is the boost, which is exactly what you'd expect.

I've owned a lot of pedals over the years, but if I had to pick only one (and I couldn't have an HX Stomp), this would be the one I'd pick (so long as I could have a fuzz too).

This thing is awesome, and the build and the graphics are really special for me.

1711335723692.png
1711335792241.png

Last edited:
Oh damn -- I did it again. :eek:
I don't even mind that chorus is spelled incorrectly.
Ok, so I guess misspelled control labels are my trademark now. First it was the Terble control and now this...
Maybe I'm the Jessie Jackson of pedal building?

1711369402702.png 1711369451285.png

Actually, somehow this feels appropriate for this pedal because spell check wasn't a thing yet back in the 80s. I remember getting really excited when I got a typewriter that would beep when you misspelled a word.

When I was in high school, I had a teacher that would make you write any words that you misspelled 50 times on the chalkboard -- sort of a cross between drilling the correct spelling in your brain and publicly humiliating you in front of your class mates. Anyway, I used to always spell maybe as mabey -- don't know why -- I knew how to spell it, but something in the translation between my brain and my fingers and it always came out as mabey. Imagine my horror when I had to write it 50 times on the chalkboard and spelled it incorrectly all 50 times.. And yes, he made me write it 50 times for each time I misspelled it.

Oh well, as my buddy said when I built the Terble pedal -- it's rock 'n roll -- correct spelling ain't necessary. It's just a guitar pedal -- it's not like I put it out on the internet or anything like that. 🤷‍♂️

@Robert - I have a feature request: Can you add autocorrect to illustrator?

EDIT: I had to edit this to fix the misspelling of "mabey" because autocorrect fixed it for me. If only that would have worked before...

Last edited:
this is awesome, i love the graphic and the story behind it. how did you print the graphic?
It's a film-free waterslide printed on a laser printer. The glue caused the paint to yellow a little, but I kind of liked the effect - makes it feel like it's from that era.

Ok, so I guess misspelled control labels are my trademark now. First it was the Terble control and now this...
Maybe I'm the Jessie Jackson of pedal building?

View attachment 71463View attachment 71464

Actually, somehow this feels appropriate for this pedal because spell check wasn't a thing yet back in the 80s. I remember getting really excited when I got a typewriter that would beep when you misspelled a word.

When I was in junior high school, I had a teacher that would make you write any words that you misspelled 50 times on the chalkboard -- sort of a cross between drilling the correct spelling in your brain and publicly humiliating you in front of your class mates. Anyway, I used to always spell maybe as mabey -- don't know why -- I knew how to spell it, but something in the translation between my brain and my fingers and it always came out as mabey. Imagine my horror when I had to write it 50 times on the chalkboard and spelled it incorrectly all 50 times.. And yes, he made me write it 50 times for each time I misspelled it.

Oh well, as my buddy said when I built the Terble pedal -- it's rock 'n roll -- correct spelling ain't necessary. It's just a guitar pedal -- it's not like I put it out on the internet or anything like that. 🤷‍♂️

@Robert - I have a feature request: Can you add autocorrect to illustrator?

EDIT: I had to edit this to fix the misspelling of "mabey" because autocorrect fixed it for me. If only that would have worked before...
lol i love this story. thanks for the note on the label, I'll check that out. I can do the graphic design part, I just gotta get it on the pedal lol.

I thought it was intentional because the suffix -ous means "full of," so kinda like full of chorus. Or it takes inspiration from the dodgy early '80s Japanese pedal name spellings, think the Sustainar.

I thought it was intentional because the suffix -ous means "full of," so kinda like full of chorus. Or it takes inspiration from the dodgy early '80s Japanese pedal name spellings, think the Sustainar.
I wish I was that clever -- but no -- I'm just that stupid. Oh well, it is what it is. Obviously I put more thought into the graphic than I did the spelling of the control labels.

Back