Fuzzy Fox caps

almondcity

I'm planning a Tone Machine build and was comparing the PPCB schematic to the one from madbean. The main difference seems to be that PPCB uses 10uF caps while madbean uses 1uF

PPCB:
1648564131983.png

madbean:
1648564190154.png

Does anyone have any insight into what's going on here? Different variants? I imagine using 10uF would yield more low end?

Edit: it seems like 10uF is the "standard" value so mb decided to change it up by using film instead of electrolytics

Those are all decoupling caps. At either value all guitar signal will go through just fine. Decreasing the values to, say, under 100n would change the sound and start to drop some bottom end

I built the Foxx from Musikding (there's a mix of 1u and 10u like PPCB) but I had to increase the value of the tone cap, I think it's C10 in the schematics, from 3n3 to 15n to get more mids. The stock setting is too scooped for my tastes. That's the Mid Boost mod they implemented in the Danelectro 3699.

I was just playing with it last night. I was getting a super strong octave on the G at the 5th fret of the D string. It's a beast. Of course nothing beats Joe Gore's Screech in octave strength and purity - it's like Maria Callas singing your melodies.

I built the Foxx from Musikding (there's a mix of 1u and 10u like PPCB) but I had to increase the value of the tone cap, I think it's C10 in the schematics, from 3n3 to 15n to get more mids. The stock setting is too scooped for my tastes. That's the Mid Boost mod they implemented in the Danelectro 3699.

I was just playing with it last night. I was getting a super strong octave on the G at the 5th fret of the D string. It's a beast. Of course nothing beats Joe Gore's Screech in octave strength and purity - it's like Maria Callas singing your melodies.
Yeah I'm planning to socket that cap and adjust the mids to my liking

You can also order the 2u2 caps from WECL, which is where I got mine, but...

I bought mine in the brick&mortar WECL, while the WECL website's English pages are... clunky. Probably just as cheap or cheaper to get them from Pedal Hacker after shipping charges, depending where you're ordering from.

I have a doubt about the polarity of capacitors C6 and C11 of the Pedalpcb schematic. It is the same as the central fuzz schematic and different from the GGG schematic. In other internet schematics there is also this polarity variation. Is there a correct way?

I have a doubt about the polarity of capacitors C6 and C11 of the Pedalpcb schematic. It is the same as the central fuzz schematic and different from the GGG schematic. In other internet schematics there is also this polarity variation. Is there a correct way?
I'm curious about this too. Anyone know?

Back