Fuzzy Foxx

spi

I don't have a lot of experience with octave circuits. I built a Green Ringer once, but I didn't like it at all, and ended up pulling it so I could use the enclosure for something better.

I saw some demo of the Foxx Tone Machine and it sounded really good, so decided to give this circuit a try (plus you can turn off the octave, which is nice).

Overall, sounds pretty cool, and I like it better than the GR. In some places the octave is subtle, but certain areas of the neck (usually higher up) it stands out a bit more.

I used two matched bat46's for the octave diodes and 1n34a's for the clippers. I read somewhere that it's a good idea to match the two 100K resistors in the octave section of the circuit, but I discovered this after I populated the board. I don't know how much that matters, but now I'm wondering if it contributes to the subtlety at all.

I noticed some (actually most) versions of this circuit have a couple of the electrolytics oriented differently (both the ones that are attached to pots). For some reason this bothered me so I used non-polarized caps in those two spots.

The other mod is that I bumped the tone filter capacitor from 3n3 to 5n6, since I read that this can be a bit scooped, and I wanted to bump the mids a bit.

1699217465309.png

1699217489052.png

I love this build.

I am biased - The Foxx is my favourite octave fuzz of alllllll tiiiiiiime. It is not a subtle octave in my experience, but as with other octave fuzzes, definitely more pronounced at 12th fret on up with neck pup.

Nicely done!

Nice! I built mine from a Musikding kit and later added a 3-way toggle to cycle through the stock 3n3 cap, 13n3 and 15n3 - the latter is my go-to setting as it removes the mid scoop and it makes the pedal audible.
It's really cool!

Reactions: spi
I love this build.

I am biased - The Foxx is my favourite octave fuzz of alllllll tiiiiiiime. It is not a subtle octave in my experience, but as with other octave fuzzes, definitely more pronounced at 12th fret on up with neck pup.

Nicely done!
I played with it some more today, and found that with a hotter pickup, it's no longer subtle. And with some gain after it, it gets pretty wild.

Back