FV1 Chip - Are these interchangeable between PCB's

RobW

Hopefully this isn't a dumb question to you more experienced builders out there.
I'm interested in several of the boards that require the FV1 chip, but have no experience with programming chips at all.
When the FV1 chips become available again, I'm going to purchase a few, but will these be compatible with each different PCB, or does each chip require some type of programming before being used?
I'm planning to build - D3Lay_Pythagoras and Arachnid v2, possibly additional FV1 boards.
Thanks in advance for any feedback !

Hopefully this isn't a dumb question to you more experienced builders out there.
I'm interested in several of the boards that require the FV1 chip, but have no experience with programming chips at all.
When the FV1 chips become available again, I'm going to purchase a few, but will these be compatible with each different PCB, or does each chip require some type of programming before being used?
I'm planning to build - D3Lay_Pythagoras and Arachnid v2, possibly additional FV1 boards.
Thanks in advance for any feedback !
Great question! I remember looking into that myself. I typically get them presoldered from PedalPCB when I purchase the board, although when they started to become scarce I was thinking I’d purchase a few to have on hand -of course I had the same question.

Long story short, I believe all that is required is soldering them to the board. Hopefully someone else can confirm, but I’m nearly sure they come preprogrammed.

All the programming is stored on the EEPROM chip (a 24LC32A), which is included with the PCB if it’s one that needs it (except the arachnid or pythagoras, which both need you to order one from the EEPROM builder or burn your own). The FV-1 is the same for all of them though

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm a n00b like you and haven't done any pedals with FV-1 yet. I saw Cabintech has them in stock, so I grabbed a couple of these:

The thing that's weird is the description says there's already some algorithms/fx built in. I'm concerned that maybe I grabbed the wrong chips. Does anyone know if the ones sold by Cabintech will work in a PedalPCB Pythagoras, as long as I buy an EEProm here with the effects I want?

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm a n00b like you and haven't done any pedals with FV-1 yet. I saw Cabintech has them in stock, so I grabbed a couple of these:

The thing that's weird is the description says there's already some algorithms/fx built in. I'm concerned that maybe I grabbed the wrong chips. Does anyone know if the ones sold by Cabintech will work in a PedalPCB Pythagoras, as long as I buy an EEProm here with the effects I want?
Yes, that's how the chip comes (with built-in algorithm in it's stock form). But the builds here use algos stored in the eeprom. If you choose a platform like the arachnid or the FV-1 dev. board, you can also find some algos floating on the web or create some yourself with SpinCad

From everything I've been reading, and just like Sylv9st9r says, the FV-1 chips are dependent on having a second EEProm that has been programmed. You can program your own EEProms to go along with the FV-1, but that's more advanced that what I can talk about. My understanding is you need additional software to do that, but I've never researched that.

Hey all, I’m new here also. I’ve made a few pedals based on kits, so discovered this site because doing these is fun. I’m looking at the Deflector Reverb and (also) noticed the FV-1 issue. Whenever they’re back in stock here, if I order one pre-soldered is it programmed appropriately? Or would it require an eeprom.

The algorithm is loaded on the included EEPROM, not the FV-1 IC.

The EEPROM is an 8-pin through-hole IC, it looks identical to an opamp (TL072, etc)

However, in regards to the pre-soldered FV-1 IC, see this post (if you haven't already).

Ah dang missed that announcement. Makes sense, though does mean I’m gonna finally have to learn to SMD in earnest, lol. Might have to find a different project in the meantime. Thanks!

Back