General Tso build question

Mike McLane

I'm building a General Tso. What kind of positioning do the LED and LDR need have to have to one another to work effectively? It appears that the LDR has a photo plate that I assume needs to be directly exposed at close range to the lumen of the LED. If so, what does that look like? I noticed in one build pic that the builder wrapped the two in heat shrink. I assume that's not necessary except that it may keep any physical jostling of the pedal from messing up the "alignment" of the two.

the two parts need to be touching, or nearly so. I have had good results with the LDR facing the LED, but leaving the LED pointing up and not bent to face the LDR. other builders want both parts bent toward each other. the wires for the parts will keep the positions stable. the shielding is to insulate the parts from other light sources. if you do not shield them you will need to test the board in the dark if the case is open, or cover those parts with something to block outside light.

The LDRs are waaaaaay sensitive and you don't need or want too much light on them. Try browsing the Build Reports forum for examples of how to assemble the Tso. SteveF posted a good pic there on June 10th.

Back