General Tso LDR/LED combo thoughts

fancypete

I'm almost done boxing up a General Tso. While testing components I noticed that the green LEDs I have are very dim. Worried that the cheap green LEDs weren't up to the job I checked the data sheets. I bought the LDRs from Tayda (KE10720), which are a little off spec from what the build docs call for. I googled the data sheet for the LDRs and it shows peak spectral response from about 600-650nm. 650nm is squarely in red territory. So, in theory, wouldn't a red LED give a better response from the LDR? The GL5516 LDR in the build docs peaks at 550nm, so I figured it might be better to match the LED to the LDR I'm using.

All this to say I'm hoping the pedal works correctly with red LEDs. Cuz that's what I'm using. I'll report back with results but I'm curious to know what anyone thinks. Am I overthinking this? I'm sure someone has more experience with this than me!

Ok, I finished the pedal, using red LEDs. It works great, although I wish I could compare it to green LEDs. It sounds quite nice and transparent, but certainly noticeable compression, which varies dramatically throughout the sweep of the sustain knob.

SO, in summary, if anyone out there is wondering if cheap red LEDs and cheap LDRs from tayda work on this pedal: the answer is YES.

PS: art by my wife. We called it the Geisha.

Geisha.jpg

This might be interesting - but sounds like your's is working fine
I tested a bunch and just wound up going with VTL54C that I had left over.

Very cool!

This might be interesting - but sounds like your's is working fine
I tested a bunch and just wound up going with VTL54C that I had left over.

Very cool!
Hmm, those vtl units look pretty slick. I've been doing some recording with the pedal and trying different settings. It's very versatile. I can't imagine it working better than it does currently. Maybe the led/ldr combo isn't that critical? What were the differences you found in your tests?

I will have to pick up some of those super bright LEDs though. The cheap ones are very dim.

Hmm, those vtl units look pretty slick. I've been doing some recording with the pedal and trying different settings. It's very versatile. I can't imagine it working better than it does currently. Maybe the led/ldr combo isn't that critical? What were the differences you found in your tests?

I will have to pick up some of those super bright LEDs though. The cheap ones are very dim.

I honestly didn't have enough time to really compare before I got lazy and just installed the VTL. They're nice but hard to find. I had some left over so though might as well just go with them and be done with it. The Aion Electronics version of the compressor specified them vs making a LED/LDR combo.

Back