DEMO General Tso Redux (Thorpy Fat General)- Demo Added

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I built my first General Tso compressor a bit over a year ago and it has literally never left my signal chain in all that time.
It's been an "always on" pedal for me since the day I built it.

I know I've mentioned many times how much I love what this pedal does for my sound. But just to recap and tie all together here, it's an optical compressor designed by Dan Coggins and Adrian Thorpe based on Dan's earlier "Dinosaural OTC-201". (Which I have also built as Aion's "Convex" compressor).

I think by the time I built the Tso's I was either right in the middle of or just finished a tear of building every compressor project I could get my hands on.

I love optical compressors, they really do for my sound what I need it to do for my use case. In general opticompressors are more subtle in how they work than JFet, VCA, etc compressors. They won't get the squish that you can get from a Ross/Dyna comp or the MBP Oracle (Boss CS-3).
I've always found them to be quieter than IC based compressors. The down side is that in "general" they tend to color the tone, albeit in a good way sometimes.

Having said that, the Fat General and Dinosaural OTC-201 are the most transparent of all the optical compressors that I've built yet.
For me, one of the reasons I use a compressor as an always on pedal is that I play at very low volumes or through headphones most of the time.
Even with attenuation, I rarely get the kind of power tube compression that you get playing through a cabinet at club levels. Enter the compressor, it gives me a bit of that "tube compression feel" under my fingers in way that I absolutely love. I was chatting with @Guardians of the analog about his recent compressor build and we were discussing how it's really hard to "show" how a compressor sounds in a demo. It's probably as much about "feel" under the hands as it is about toanz.

The Tso/Fat General has a couple of neat features that are part of the reason I love it so much, first there's a dedicated treble control. This helps with the aforementioned "coloration" as most optical compressors can shave off a bit of high end at higher compression settings. It's subtle control but also very useful. It won't give you the level of obvious "jangle" like the Byrdhouse/Janglebox will but it does restore any loss of "sparkle" from the compression. Secondly, it's a "parallel" compressor in that the clean signal is always blended back in, to any degree you like, with the Blend control. Or you can opt to use the Blend in control in "volume mode" where I believe you're getting 90% compressed signal and it acts like a normal volume control. Both modes have their uses in certain scenarios.

So why am I building a second Tso? Well, I saw a post where @manfesto mentioned using Vactrols in place of the LED/LDR combo the BOM calls for. It was an "aha" moment because I had also built the Tso's predecessor the OTC-201 (AionFX Convex) and it uses VTL54C's. Being that they are both essentially the same circuit with some minor EQ differences, it was like "duh, why didn't I think of that?". Not that there's anything wrong with the LED/LDR combo but I'm always wondering what variables I've introduced by how I mounted them, how far apart from each other they are, what brand LED, etc etc. Using a pair of vactrols eliminates that variable. (as far as we can trust XVive, heh). The original OTC-201 uses vactrols, and though I'm not sure whether or not Thorpy version uses them or not, I thought I'd give it a try.

After comparing them to each other I've found that there IS a difference, although it's slight, between my new Ver2 Tso and my original. There's slightly more compression on tap, which would point to the vactrols making a difference. And there's slightly difference EQ curve, which most likely points to the variances in the potentiometers or other components. It's a little brighter at the same settings as my original one.

I've been comparing the 2 Tso's along with my OTC-201 since yesterday and they all 3 sound remarkably similar. They all have that "fullness" that they impart to the signal, like a subtle fattening that I haven't heard with any of the other compressors I've built. Especially on clean tones, it's just gorgeous. It's also one of those circuits that you don't really HEAR the compressor, it's extremely transparent. Like "helloooo....is this thing even on???". Until you turn it off that is, then you immediately hear what's missing.

The Fat General/Tso with the dedicated treble control makes it more flexible than the OTC-201. (The OTC-201 has another toggle that sets a fixed 3db gain boost or cut to match the pickups. Which was dropped in the Fat General since it's not very useful).

So with all my rambling, where's the demo? Heh, I'm still mulling over how to demo the pedals. I'll try to get something posted in the next day or so.

In the meantime, I highly recommend this build, especially if you're NOT a fan of compressors because they're noisy and squishy. If you're into the DynaComp/Ross or VCA sound then this is probably not the right compressor for you. But if you like the idea of having a mini LA-2A "tone conditioner" on your pedalboard then this thing is absolutely killer!

IMG_5705.JPG

IMG_5704.JPG

Last edited:
Fab build and write up as usual, noice!
Yes a demo of a pedal that's hard to demo would be nice, I'm sure if anyone can pull it off it's you @MichaelW haha...
Now here's the question that scratches me: where in the chain do you like your always on compressor?
It's always first, right after the tuner.

Part of this experiment is having two Tso's to run dual compressors. I'm still figuring that out and not exactly sure where the second compressor will be.

I'm going to attempt making a demo today of the compressors. After that, I plan on "re-building" my original Tso. It needs to be updated to my current build standards, not those of 14 months ago. And I'm going to swap out the LED/DLR combo's for vactrols on the original one as well.

Also, if I can figure out a hack to use @Robert 's basic relay board and still retain the buffered bypass, I'd like to convert them both to relay switching.

@MichaelW thanks dude! My General Tso came off my board about a month ago when I switched amps and I forgot to put it back on. After reading your thread I popped it back on and now I remember while it rarely leaves my board. Such a great sounding comp and the perfect buffer as well.

I have a nostalgic relationship with my Tso because it was my first successful pedalpcb build almost three years ago now…. Time is a fickle beast! Have a great Labor Day man.

Michael—another killer demo, and this time with Starwars scrolling notes! This is such a small detail, that I feel petty bringing it up—but given how solid your reviews are, please take this as me just being as anal (as I am...). According to Thorpe, in the volume setting, the signal is 90% compressed and 10% straight. I'm assuming that Robert's trace does the same thing; I'd be damned if I could hear something like that.

PS—came across great; I actually watched listened on our big system.

Michael—another killer demo, and this time with Starwars scrolling notes! This is such a small detail, that I feel petty bringing it up—but given how solid your reviews are, please take this as me just being as anal (as I am...). According to Thorpe, in the volume setting, the signal is 90% compressed and 10% straight. I'm assuming that Robert's trace does the same thing; I'd be damned if I could hear something like that.

PS—came across great; I actually watched listened on our big system.
I think you're right, and I actually KNEW that, I dunno why I wrote 100% in the video narrative heh, guess I was spacing out.

Also, I am ALWAYS open to feedback, correction and......(gulp).... constructive criticism..... :ROFLMAO: .
Don't ever feel petty about pointing out something I did wrong or goofed on!

Do you hear any difference between the two Tso's? They sounded the same to me today. But I could have sworn that they sounded a little different the other day when I was testing it. But today it sounded like just variances of where the knob was turned.

I really couldn’t hear a difference. Your recorded sound is typically really good, and this was maybe even better than that…

In my search for my favorite low gain boost (hah!, like there will be a single one…) I keep circling around, some days, weeks, I hear a lot more differences than on others. It’s probably just not facing up to the notion that any one of the few favorites would be just as good as the others.

Thanks so much for taking the time and effort, great demo again and I listened through good pseakers several times, it really makes the differences clear. I don't think I'm into the OTA based comps myself, the Tso's you have really seem to be the closest to what I'd like for me. So yes, very helpful, this might push me to build one after all. Compressors have so far eluded me.
Questions: do you find yourself using the Blend mode or switch to full on compression more?
Also, when you redo the first Tso with the VTLC54C vatcrols I would be keen to know if you found much difference or if the difference in sound between the two (which is not big as far as I can tell, very similar indeed if not identical) is mainly due to other component tolerances.

Also, how do you record your amp, what's the setup for recording (sorry if this has been answered elsewhere on your posts' I have not seen it but would be interested for sure as I'm trying to get into recording stuff as well, one day...)

Great videos Michael, much appreciated!

Questions: do you find yourself using the Blend mode or switch to full on compression more?
I typically have it set to "Blend mode" with the knob around 1-2 o'clock. But it's mostly a "set and forget" pedal for me. Once I dial up a nice sound I'll just leave alone. I don't even think about it really. I only notice it/think about it when it's turned off THEN I notice it heh.
Also, when you redo the first Tso with the VTLC54C vatcrols I would be keen to know if you found much difference or if the difference in sound between the two (which is not big as far as I can tell, very similar indeed if not identical) is mainly due to other component tolerances.
Yah, I'm not hearing any difference today when I did the demo between the Vactrol vs LED/LDR. Couple of days ago when I first built it and was playing around with it, I could have sworn I heard a slight difference. Maybe not "difference" per se but rather I thought I heard a bit more compression at max settings on the version with the VTL54C's.

Now I'm wondering if I should even bother with swapping out the LDR's. I actually have another Tso board inbound from Robert, what I may end up doing is just build a new board from scratch with the vactrols, since I already have them thanks to @Cabintech :p .

Not that I need THREE Tso's, but I'm going through a process right now where I'm revisiting some favorite pedals that I built earlier on in my pedal building journey and re-building them to my current build quality standards. I know this is pretty OCD but it bugs me that a pedal I play everyday is ugly inside....:ROFLMAO:.
Also, I want to install relay switching boards in the two Tso's. I didn't know how to do that without making it true bypass and eliminating the buffer. I want to keep the buffered bypass. I just got the instructions from @Robert today on how to wire it up with his Simple Relay switching board and still have buffered bypass.

Also, how do you record your amp, what's the setup for recording (sorry if this has been answered elsewhere on your posts' I have not seen it but would be interested for sure as I'm trying to get into recording stuff as well, one day...)

There's lots of ways to do this from simple to complicated and expensive:)
If I lived out the New Zealand boonies in such an idyllic location as you do, I would build a cabinet room. Soundproofed room in the basement somewhere and have a couple of different cabinets. Marshall 4x12, some kind of 2x12 and some kind of 1x12. Have them all mic'd up with a Shure SM57 and a Royer 121 ribbon mic. Then run long cables to my workstation where I would have an amp switcher and a cab switcher.

I could crank the amps, play through the cabs at club levels and monitor them at my workstation via my studio monitors.
That's what Tim Pierce and Pete Thorn do if you've ever watched their YouTube videos. Tim calls his cabinet room in his basement "the Blast Room". It's not much more than a well insulated walk-in closet.

The way I do it is much more pedestrian. I use a Two Notes Torpedo Captor X, which is a load box/DI/attenuator. It goes between the amp and speaker cab and I can run my amps with or without the physical cab (I have a 1x12). I monitor the sound through my studio monitors or mixing headphones.

The Two Notes Captor X then plugs into my digital interface (I use a UAD Apollo Twin X, but any interface would do. Even the cheap ones like a Focusright Scarlett series are simply excellent anymore) and from there I use UAD's LUNA for my DAW, but any DAW will do, including the freebie ones like Audacity (for pedal demo purposes).

When I set up my current recording/desktop studio a couple years ago, I was using amp simulators. The UAD Apollo has some of the best amp sims around. My favorites being the Friedman Dirty Shirly and Friedman Buxom Betty. I only got back into playing amps regularly maybe 6 or 7 months ago because my Chief Enabler @szukalski shamed me into doing it because I wasn't playing my amps.....:ROFLMAO:.

As much as I love the convenience of amp sims, they just can't replicate the "feel" of real tubes under the fingers, although it's getting damn close anymore.

Let me know if you have any other questions, happy to help you setup a home recording rig (and happy to help spend your money...hahahah:)

Last edited:
In my search for my favorite low gain boost (hah!, like there will be a single one…) I keep circling around, some days, weeks, I hear a lot more differences than on others. It’s probably just not facing up to the notion that any one of the few favorites would be just as good as the others.
My favorite low gainers right now is the Acer Drive (have you built that one yet? If not, I highly recommend it) and the good old Paragon Side A.

That one's fallen in and out of favor a few times but right now with the most recent Paragon I built it's back in the signal chain.
I'd love to be able have just one side of the Paragon/KOT. And no, it's not the Pauper, it just doesn't sound the same.
Also, even though Side A and B are supposed to be identical on the Paragon, they don't sound the same either. Side A always works better at lower gain settings for me for some reason. And this is the same across all, whatever, 6 or 7 Paragon's I've built (and even the Aion and PCBGM versions of the King of Tone)

BUT....my newest newest favorite low gain drive is the Obtuse Boost (Fulltone FB-2). It's really not an overdrive but a boost (and a lovely sounding not all that transparent of a boost). But it's got a dedicated gain knob and when you get it up past 2 o'clock or so, it starts adding some hair that's really lovely. This is NOT true of the MBP version incidentally (the Husky Boy 2023). That version stays clean with the gain knob dimed. It's got bean's mods and tweaks to it where the Obtuse is a direct trace of the Fulltone version. Highly recommend that one too for low gain fans. It's something I discovered after recording my initial demo. So I don't think I showcased it.

I'll get the Acer board with my next order. Currently, I rotate between the Pot & Kettle, Cattle Drive, Chop Shop, Champ Stamp, Nordland, and Transcendence. But I also think of the Equinox and the Mercurial in this same league (but with benefits); and anyway, those two are pretty much givens for me at this point. I have boards waiting for the Photon (Aion Seymore Duncan Pickup Booster), the L5 Preamp (yes, I know—so much more than a boost...) and whatever the Mostortion PPcb board is called. And my next order will include (besides the Acer) the Kliche Mini, the Chauffeur (I have had the original in my studio for long enough to know it's a gem, but I'll need to give it back), and the Neurocyton. Whew!—at the slow rate I turn these out, (not to mention the flangers, three Lovetone beasts, and other mods that I have in queue)—I really shouldn't be looking at any more build reports. (And the joke was that I was planning on focussing more on some other electronic builds (stereo stuff mainly) since I've been ignoring that and I want to finish the silly phono preamp that I have in several boxes...since about 2019.) Darn, there's that Paragon A side that you mentioned too!

At some point, back when they were hot items, I had the FB-2, and remember liking it, but then the Holy Fire and a Siegsmund Micro Tube Preamp really pushed it away. Good to know about Husky Boy; of course that would mean I'd need to build both ;~).

If I lived out the New Zealand boonies in such an idyllic location as you do, I would build a cabinet room. Soundproofed room in the basement somewhere and have a couple of different cabinets. Marshall 4x12, some kind of 2x12 and some kind of 1x12. Have them all mic'd up with a Shure SM57 and a Royer 121 ribbon mic. Then run long cables to my workstation where I would have an amp switcher and a cab switcher.
What about 2 x 10 cabinets? They just don't get the love they should. I'll take a 2 x 10 over a 2 x 12 anyday.

Thanks for the extensive replies, great info and tips.
I might try to record simply loud here, I live in the sticks and only wildlife will get damaged. I have seen a video where Tim Pierce shows his blast room with jet engine loud cabs as he says. I probably won't go quite as loud, but we'll see how it goes.

Missed this build until you linked it in your build report of 3.0— snazzy build as always! The LA-2A comparison really piqued my interest since I usually see compression units compared to the 1176 (even when the pedal bares no resemblance to the sound or functionality of an 1176) while the LA-2A is sorta regarded as the “magic sauce” for acoustic guitar recording through the decades. I’ll have to push this one up my list a bit based on that blurb alone, and as if your frequent praise of the circuit hasn’t had me debating building one already, it sounds way nice in that video to boot!

Back