General Tso!

Dan0h

I’m F’n excited. I spent two nights slowly building, going through motion by motion checking and double checking every little step of the General Tso build. Boxed it before rocking it. Plugged it in and nothing, no sound, nadda. Checked every single thing up and down in and out. Beyond frustrated. My first try, the S.O.B, was a cobbled shit-storm of learning curves which still isn’t finished, now this? I Packed up all my shit and walked away. Considered giving away all my parts. Two hours later decided to give it one more chance. I HAD THE INPUT & OUTPUT IN THE WRONG JACKS. I had indeed built my first working no issues pedal. Totally stoked. This thing sounds awesome. Huge thanks to everyone here for all the great advice.

Attachments

• C8A377AB-CF79-4C51-86AC-D064B2622F74.jpeg
    C8A377AB-CF79-4C51-86AC-D064B2622F74.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 69
  • 50844B9E-CCD4-4BDD-A706-956F21808102.jpeg
    50844B9E-CCD4-4BDD-A706-956F21808102.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 71
  • 8AAFD320-A06C-4838-AC46-A9210D1C3C49.jpeg
    8AAFD320-A06C-4838-AC46-A9210D1C3C49.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 70
  • 849C7EBD-D3BF-4CB6-B1D5-BF15AC1B4071.jpeg
    849C7EBD-D3BF-4CB6-B1D5-BF15AC1B4071.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 46
Congrats! Looks pretty good indeed! Also, I don't know that it is, but that amp below the compressor seems to be pretty nice too.

Thanks man! I really want to build that General Tso but was apprehensive because of my previous unsuccessful attempt at the Guardian OD which also had no schematic and the problems weren't diagnosable in troubleshooting. But I'm game after seeing yours and others working! Very cool.

Congrats! Looks pretty good indeed! Also, I don't know that it is, but that amp below the compressor seems to be pretty nice too.
Thanks! The amp is a walnut cab I built for a Fender super champ head, put a 12” Jensen in it. Sounds beautiful.

Attachments

• 3F0AE261-9D02-4444-A3E4-B537031FFD68.jpeg
    3F0AE261-9D02-4444-A3E4-B537031FFD68.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 23
  • EC98BA07-B765-406E-A2E4-A0825D4F10B5.jpeg
    EC98BA07-B765-406E-A2E4-A0825D4F10B5.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 22
Thanks man! I really want to build that General Tso but was apprehensive because of my previous unsuccessful attempt at the Guardian OD which also had no schematic and the problems weren't diagnosable in troubleshooting. But I'm game after seeing yours and others working! Very cool.
If you need some LDRs let me know. I have extras you can have.

Thanks, but I have way too many already. :pWhere are yours sourced from by the way?
I was confused on the specs so I ordered two from Tayda and a 10 pack of Gikfuns from Amazon. After checking both of them out under the magnifier I went with the Gikfuns because they looked more professional, the Taydas looked like the paint was flaking off and there was no coating like the Giks. Also the pattern on the Giks matched the pattern on the pcb screen print so I ran with it.

I think the wiring diagram for the input output jacks had better include tip, sleeve markings on it. It’s so easy to confuse.

I finally was able to crank my amp and explore this build. I’m very impressed. I have wanted a Cali 76 for a while and when I saw that the Thorpy was comparable and that the Tso was a clone I figured I’d give it a shot. For about $40 this thing sounds as good as I would have imagined a $300 pedal would have. I also think it feels better knowing I built it. Thanks again PdealPCB and all the awesome people on here helping noobs like me. What a value!

Looks excellent

Well done to you
Troubleshooting's all part of learning I actually quite like it! strange man that I am!

I've built well over 400 pedals lost count now and regardless of experience you still make basic f**k ups you just get quicker at sussing it out

Build yourself a test box so you can test the circuit before you box it, If it works then doesn't when boxed you know your offboard wiring to 3PDT, jacks or DC jack's the problem or somethings shorting on the bare metal box

Last edited:

The schematics for both are in the build docs now.

Looks excellent

Well done to you
Troubleshooting's all part of learning I actually quite like it! strange man that I am!

I've built well over 400 pedals lost count now and regardless of experience you still make basic f**k ups you just get quicker at sussing it out

Build yourself a test box so you can test the circuit before you box it, If it works then doesn't when boxed you know your offboard wiring to 3PDT, jacks or DC jack's the problem or somethings shorting on the bare metal box

This is a really good idea. Thanks.

Back