GloHo (AKA Glory Hole)

DAJE

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I finished this one a couple of days ago but I've been a bit busy.

I have a few footswitch boards donated by @MichaelW and designed by @szukalski so that's what you're seeing here. True to form, I had trouble with the f/s board - the LED refused to work - and tried swapping the LED onto the main board and jumpering the f/s board, which didn't help. So then I reflowed the connection wires between the boards, and the footswitch itself, and that fixed it.

I used a 3 knob type 1 pre-drilled enclosure, and enlarged the original LED hole for the switch and added a new hole for the LED. It's on the opposite side to the way the f/s board is designed, but I did it this way because I have other pedals with the LED in that position. I used a diffuse orange LED with a 5.1K resistor.

The photos really bring out the residue of the IPA I used to clean the far side of the PCB, and also stray dust motes and assorted debris. Oh well.

Attachments

• GLOHO3.jpg
    GLOHO3.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 23
  • GLOHO2.jpg
    GLOHO2.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 23
  • GLOHO1.jpg
    GLOHO1.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 22
So, the pedal itself? It's good, a very nice sounding drive with a useful high cut switch. I haven't spent a lot of time using it but it'll be added to the pile of assorted usable overdrives that I have accumulated, and not the "yeah, nah" pile.

I don't get the people saying it needs more drive, mine gets pretty filthy with the drive all the way up. It's fairly loud, too. Sounds good pushing an already dirty amp.

AliExpress sticker for the outside, tried to slightly evoke the original but ended up with a nicely 70s-ish orangey brown look.

Attachments

• GLOHO6.jpg
    GLOHO6.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 9
  • GLOHO5.jpg
    GLOHO5.jpg
    409 KB · Views: 9
  • GLOHO4.jpg
    GLOHO4.jpg
    402.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
It took me a bit to warm up to mine now I find I have it on most of the time. In my opinion it’s the best blues breaker type out there of the ones I’ve tried thought it’s not a whole lot different than the original. It does what it does well, most of the others I’ve used to me there’s other things that do what they are trying to do a lot better.

Back