GOTA Boost - Guardians of the Analog LPB-1

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
@thewintersoldier was kind enough to send me one of his boost boards (because you can never have enough boosts!!!) and some cool swag that I posted about in the "What's in the Mailbox" thread.

I wasn't planning on building anything today but I had two meeting cancellations and REALLY did not feel like working on my next presentation deck (I'll wait till the last minute as usual for some "inspiration"):)

So this was a quick lunch break build.

Despite the ubiquity of the LPB-1 I have no personal experience with it. (And I have to shamefully admit my breadboard LPB-1, even with @BuddytheReow's most excellent tutorial....doesn't work.....it's just sitting on my desk mocking me......)

Very cool little clean boost with toggle that adds a cap for a bit more fatness. In non-toggled mode it can brighten up darker guitars or pedals.

It sounds really good with the couple of pedals on my desk currently, the Fingers and Golden Falk, both of which can be a bit muffled. Adds a little clarity back in.

I socketed the transistor with the the notion of maybe trying some different transistors for a more aggressive boost. But for now it sounds good with the stock 2N5088.

I used the new Tayda "Sand" texture in Burnt Orange. I was a little disappointed when I took the shrink wrap off to see that the texture is pretty subdued. Not like their Black Sand Texture which is a bit more pronounced. But the more I look at it, the more I like it. I can definitely see the benefit for applying graphics with the less aggressive texture. (Not that I know anything about applying graphics to my builds.....hahah).

Thank you Chris!! Awesome addition to my burgeoning collection of boost pedals!

Workbench inspiration......
IMG_3362.JPG

IMG_3360.JPG

IMG_3366.JPG

IMG_3364.JPG

Totally digging the blue led on the orange...
IMG_3365.JPG

Since the only component that's not in the original BOM is the 100uf cap I'm gonna guess that it switches that in/out the signal path. But I'm just guessing here. The effect is adding a little more fatness, maybe a touch of grit but in a subtle way. Maybe rolls off the highs a tad too.

Edit: Ahhh wait, the 220n is also not in the original schematic right? That's doing sumpin sumpin too?

The cream chickenhead knob looks pretty cool on the orange enclosure. How much noise does the gain toggle add? I made an LPB1-ish treble booster thing a couple years ago on vero and stuck a bigger electrolytic cap in parallel with the 390 resistor permanently. It sounded awesome, but it was so damned noisy.

It's a subtle effect and just adds a slightest bit of extra warmth. So the values in this build doesn't really add much gain. Very quiet circuit.
It's earned a permanent spot on my wee little desktop board along with the Modus Operandi. Between those two boosts I'm finding I'm use them the most to help push and shape my drive pedals. Unless I'm looking for a particular sound in which case I'll pull out one of my other boosts.
The noisiest boosts I have are the Celsius and Closed Circuit, which is a shame because they both sound so good.

Another nice one is the Arche built with the "dirty' boost specs (Ge diodes).

I just noticed the "PCB design by Storyboardist" — coolio!

And the flyfishing sticker... Wish I'd gotten into flyfishing. Right about the time I was about to get heavily into tying flies (a friend had just started), I started driving.

I just noticed the "PCB design by Storyboardist" — coolio!

And the flyfishing sticker... Wish I'd gotten into flyfishing. Right about the time I was about to get heavily into tying flies (a friend had just started), I started driving.
It's never too late to start flyfishing....but just a warning....think guitars costs a lot of money? heh.........

Well, now I'm in a better place to catch up on some fly-fishing, and a friend at the south end of the province is into it and said we should get together after I repatriated myself. So, it may very well happen, finally, a lifetime later than planned.

Orange is my favourite colour, and that "textured" look is growing on me like moss on the north side of a tree...

Back