DEMO Guardian Overdrive (Thorpy PeaceKeeper)

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I've been wanting to build this drive for a long time but somehow it kept slipping off the plate.

I finally grabbed the board with the latest Fathers Day coupon code and built it out. I haven't built a lot of Thorpy pedals but the ones I have have all turned out to be faves. I love the Dane, and the HeavyWater boost but my true love is my General Tso, still my all time favorite always on pedal.

Anyway, the PeaceKeeper is supposed to be a low gain transparent drive but I've found that there's actually quite a bit of gain on tap. It IS probably the most transparent overdrive I've built yet. Meaning it doesn't really alter the guitars tone, just adds more grit and of course volume.

It works great as a standalone drive and also as an amp pusher.

There's an extremely useful set of tone controls. If I'm reading the schematic correctly, there's an active 2 band EQ that's post gain, and there's a presence control that's pre-gain. You can pretty much set this drive up for any kind of guitar/pickup/amp combo.

Sounds just as good with singles as with hum buckers. Really really cool pedal and I can see it becoming a fave.

My all time two favorite low gain overdrives is the Mach 1 (Greer LightSpeed) and the Acer Overdrive (Altero Kaede).

In my demo below I've compared the Guardian to both of those pedals both in a clean amp (VHT-D-Fifty) and slightly crunchy amp (Marshall Origin).

Highly recommended build for low gain fans (yes, I mean you @HamishR :ROFLMAO: ). I think you're gonna dig this.

The gain with the pedestrian 4148 clippers sounds more than the sum of its parts.
As far as I can tell from the schematic the NPN is only acting as an output buffer, so I'm not really sure where the gain character is coming from but it's really cool. Somewhat aggressive yet low at the same time. Kinda hard to describe. It can get a bit fizzy at high gain settings but the Presence control can really tame that nicely.

First time using the Tayda silver hammered enclosure (many thanks to @Bricksnbeatles for keeping Tayda on their toes with offering new colors!:))

IMG_5227.JPG

IMG_5226.JPG

Haha! Yes I do dig this - I first built one in 2019. Can it really be 4 years ago?? I should dig it out and try it again because I remember that I did like like it. As a tweaker (I can't help it!) I figured that I didn't really need a Presence and a Treble pot so used a fixed value for the Presence in the second one I built.

What are you doing with the LEDs? This is the second time I've noticed that it looks like you are bridging the positive and negative terminals.

As usual, beautifully tidy build. :)

You reckon a Kahler could handle a set of bass vi strings? 🤔
Kahler was the OG bass whammy system, and they still make them. Pretty sure the only way their 6 string bass system differs from guitar is the saddle spacing, so the bass vi strings should be just fine with it. It’s a cam based system instead of fulcrum and springs.

As a simp for both Bass VIs and Kahlers, you’ve just given me some dangerous ideas

I felt it was my civic duty to steer people away from anything with a Floyd. Just say no. Dare to keep kids off Floyd Rose.
A Floyd for my first guitar!! What could go wrong? 🤡
Horrible tone sucking things.
Are they any worse than any trem with two posts? I don't enjoy setting them up, but I love how rock solid they are once setup correctly. (I only have one though, that's enough work for me..)

Back