Hakko Tips

untamedfrontier

Just picked up a Hakko FX-888D and it rules, but I think the tip is a bit big. I've peeked at their tip guide, but why not get advice from people doing the same thing as me?

What's your favorite tip & temp? (I'm using Kester 60/40 .8mm .031" solder)

For years all I would use is the T18-B conical tips but a few years ago I worked in a lab that only had an equivalent to the T18-D32.... initially I didn't really care for it, but the extra surface contact makes a big difference.

I use Kester 44 .031" solder for most things but I have a roll of some unlabeled thin gauge solder that I use along with Kester 951 flux for SMD work.

My iron sits at about 400C most of the time.

I still use the stock tip mine came with, it’s been going for 2-3 years now. I have some smaller ones I use here and there, and a T-18K for drag soldering SMD with a bunch of legs in a row. I bought a big roll of 63/37 .031 Chipquick solder awhile ago and it’s been good.

For years all I would use is the T18-B conical tips but a few years ago I worked in a lab that only had an equivalent to the T18-D32.... initially I didn't really care for it, but the extra surface contact makes a big difference.

I use Kester 44 .031" solder for most things but I have a roll of some unlabeled thin gauge solder that I use along with Kester 951 flux for SMD work.

My iron sits at about 400C most of the time.
Just picked up the D32 on this recommendation. I'm hoping it'll help a little bit with my squirrely essential tremor in my hands by giving me a little extra surface area to hold against the leg.

I forget the exact model number (T18-C3??), but I use one of those a Hakko "mini-wave"/"spoon"/"hoof" whatever it's called. Holds solder nicely and also great at pulling excess solder if I flow a bit too much. Tons of surface area, really a pleasure to use on switch/jack lugs. It can be a bit stubby feeling on PedalPCB boards since the component pads are typically a bit smaller, but just a bit more finesse/aim is required.

I usually roll at 350C but I'll bump it higher for some tasks (components connected to ground, stripboard, cables).
1248-00-2.jpg

I forget the exact model number (T18-C3??), but I use one of those a Hakko "mini-wave"/"spoon"/"hoof" whatever it's called. Holds solder nicely and also great at pulling excess solder if I flow a bit too much. Tons of surface area, really a pleasure to use on switch/jack lugs. It can be a bit stubby feeling on PedalPCB boards since the component pads are typically a bit smaller, but just a bit more finesse/aim is required.

I usually roll at 350C but I'll bump it higher for some tasks (components connected to ground, stripboard, cables).
I have a T12 soldering station and mainly use a T12-BC2 Tip that has that same shape and I found that it’s working the best for me.

I'm just using a Weller 25w iron - super not fancy. It came with conical tips and I really did not like them. I felt like i had to lay the iron sideways to get enough heat/contact and it took way too long, making everything very hot.

I switched to screwdriver tips (3/32 and 1/16, depending) and have a much easier time soldering.

I use Kester 63/37 and Kester 186 flux. The last board I built I experimented a bit by skipping the flux a few times, but I much preferred it with the flux. It may be because I have an under-powered iron, though. One of these days I'll get something better (I've been eyeing the Weller WE101, but don't feel like I can justify spending $100 on an iron for where I am in my learning process).

I'm just using a Weller 25w iron - super not fancy. It came with conical tips and I really did not like them. I felt like i had to lay the iron sideways to get enough heat/contact and it took way too long, making everything very hot.

I switched to screwdriver tips (3/32 and 1/16, depending) and have a much easier time soldering.

I use Kester 63/37 and Kester 186 flux. The last board I built I experimented a bit by skipping the flux a few times, but I much preferred it with the flux. It may be because I have an under-powered iron, though. One of these days I'll get something better (I've been eyeing the Weller WE101, but don't feel like I can justify spending $100 on an iron for where I am in my learning process).

I used a Weller 25w for years, in fact just last year I bought the WE101 station, the thing with conical tips is the sweet spot is on the side

I used a Weller 25w for years, in fact just last year I bought the WE101 station, the thing with conical tips is the sweet spot is on the side

It's a little workhorse, that's for sure. The screwdriver tips let me go in more vertically, which helps prevent me from burning everything else on the board up because I'm not paying attention 😄

Have you ever gotten the tip stuck in the holder?

Are you talking about the barrel part of the iron?

I order a new one every time I replace the tip, they fuse together and there's no getting them out.

I've beat them with a hammer, pressed them with my drill press, and even shocked them with cold water... Once they're stuck they're stuck.

51JXye3hLlL._AC_SY355_.jpg

Are you talking about the barrel part of the iron?

I order a new one every time I replace the tip, they fuse together and there's no getting them out.

I've beat them with a hammer, pressed them with my drill press, and even shocked them with cold water... Once they're stuck they're stuck.
I've looked on the Hakko website for the barrels and couldn't find them. Is that where you buy your replacements?

Back