Harmonic Percolator - Suggestions On Choosing A Version?

I built mine with each diode set in a toggle. I can have all diodes, diodes on Ge, diodes on Si, or no diodes.
Yep, this is where I'm leaning... what type of toggle did you use exactly? I'm learning quickly, but I've never used a toggle like this before... thx!

Man, the HP is hands down my favorite circuit and it's crazy how simple it is. Semi clean boost, nice light distortion for finger picking, smooth overdrive,heavy distortion, fuzz. It literally does it all.

MBP's Pepper Spray I think it's called has been my favorite for sure. Unfortunately the site is beyond depleted with no information on when anything is being restocked, if ever. Plus, unfortunately it's also discontinued.

One that really peaked my interest was Jimi Photon's Jeurgulator. Been meaning to strip board that for quite a while. He has 2 or 3 reiterations of his version, but the videos I watched, I liked his 1st one best.

Also, like everyone else has said AionFx's HP is great too. I would recommend socketing all the interchangeable silicon/germanium parts, so that way you can try out both versions or do what I did, blend both and make a hybrid.

MBP's Pepper Spray I think it's called has been my favorite for sure. Unfortunately the site is beyond depleted with no information on when anything is being restocked, if ever. Plus, unfortunately it's also discontinued.

Hopefully, the Pepper Spray will come back when Brian revamps the site; it’s a significant variation: switchable diodes and a trimpot for varying the asymmetry of the distortion—both unique features not on the original.

If you love the HP, it might be worth building multiple variants. I'm planning on the Pepper Spray and Karma Suture.
Ge and Si variants are also tempting. The Calliope build doc claims they sound different.
1711054406618.png

(I'd build the PedalPCB version. Probably goes without saying.)

Yep, this is where I'm leaning... what type of toggle did you use exactly? I'm learning quickly, but I've never used a toggle like this before... thx!
I used a pair of on/on SPDT toggles. Socket the “in” of the diode at the pcb, then you attack the diode to one pole of the toggle, with the other end going to ground somewhere. Center pole goes to the “in” of the diode on the pcb…

I used a pair of on/on SPDT toggles. Socket the “in” of the diode at the pcb, then you attack the diode to one pole of the toggle, with the other end going to ground somewhere. Center pole goes to the “in” of the diode on the pcb…
Excellent, thanks @Coda!

Man, the HP is hands down my favorite circuit and it's crazy how simple it is. Semi clean boost, nice light distortion for finger picking, smooth overdrive,heavy distortion, fuzz. It literally does it all.

One that really peaked my interest was Jimi Photon's Jeurgulator. Been meaning to strip board that for quite a while. He has 2 or 3 reiterations of his version, but the videos I watched, I liked his 1st one best.

Also, like everyone else has said AionFx's HP is great too. I would recommend socketing all the interchangeable silicon/germanium parts, so that way you can try out both versions or do what I did, blend both and make a hybrid.
MBP is far from over. Brian's putting in a lot of work to standardize the builds/layouts. So every 3 knob has the same drill pattern etc. The forum has been down for a couple of days, maybe for renovation?, but he posted some of his upcoming plans there. I believe he's planning a shop overhaul to coincide the new releases too. Will be releasing the new boards in batches. I think he said 10-11 or so at a time.

Also, notable mention here for Tim Tim Escobedo's Harmonic Jerkulator

I've seen that mentioned - it looks like there are no diodes in that one? I think I'd want diodes, or maybe MANY sets of diodes!

The Pepper Spray looks pretty cool too - is there a vero diagram or anything since the pcb isn't available?
Might be a good candidate for 2x spdt on off on switches. Put an LED/series Si or high Vf diode on the board or to the center lug. Then a GE(or 2 Ge in series-less volume drop) and Si on each side. Repeat for the 2nd switch but diodes in opposite orientation.
Then mix and match for sym/asym pairs.

There’s the Joe Gore version too…

This is the video that sold me on the HP…
Hmm! Is there a stripboard /perfboard/etc etc layout for it out there?

Wondering the same about the Pepper Spray, since the pcb is unavailable…

Last edited:
Dude, just go to MBP and check out the pdf for the Pepper Spray........the schematic is all there.
Hopefully, the Pepper Spray will come back when Brian revamps the site; it’s a significant variation: switchable diodes and a trimpot for varying the asymmetry of the distortion—both unique features not on the original.

I sub'ed the trim pot for a potentiometer and that was the best decision I ever made for any circuit.

If this helps... I think I drew this from the schematic at Mad Bean. I love it. I also made a simpler version with no switch and just the BAT41 diodes, as I rarely used the other diodes. It's a great pedal.

Harmonic Percolater.png

I love my Hp on my Strat. My jazzmaster doesn’t like it though. And depending on where I am in the house I pick up crazy am radio stations with it dimed. All that said in my basement radio free it’s one of my favorite simple circuits having the low end and sustain like a muff but all the crazy of a fuzz factory and some slight octave harmonics. I built the pedalpcb version stock but used some nos transistors I picked up. Such a great pedal.
Honestly I can't find any kind of dirt that my Jazzmaster likes. It always sounds like there's extraneous treble sitting on top of the fuzz rather than being meshed together.
I'm really not happy with it. i wish I could put Firebird pickups in it.

This is the video that sold me on the HP…

+1
I have zero interest in mimicking Albini. But this video did it for me.

I sub'ed the trim pot for a potentiometer and that was the best decision I ever made for any circuit.

You change the asymmetry for different tones? I wish I'd thought of that. I suppose it's never too late to drill another hole in my finished Pepper Spray. :)

Hmm! Is there a stripboard /perfboard/etc etc layout for it out there?

Wondering the same about the Pepper Spray, since the pcb is unavailable…
See if anything comes up for “Porkulator”…

Honestly I can't find any kind of dirt that my Jazzmaster likes. It always sounds like there's extraneous treble sitting on top of the fuzz rather than being meshed together.
I'm really not happy with it. i wish I could put Firebird pickups in it.
What pickups are they?…

See if anything comes up for “Porkulator”…
Bupkis! I think he spells it Porkolator, but that didn't turn up any results either... hmm
If this helps... I think I drew this from the schematic at Mad Bean. I love it. I also made a simpler version with no switch and just the BAT41 diodes, as I rarely used the other diodes. It's a great pedal.
Excellent, thanks! I'd love to add the asymmetry pot @DeadAirMD raves about... how would I go about that in this vero version, I wonder?
Start with a breadboard. There are great tutorials here. For example for the Fuzzrite.
I'll have to look for that one. I'm still quite new to this, but am kind of embarrassed that breadboarding/reading schematics hasn't quite clicked for me. I did a step-by-step and successfully breadboarded a Bosstone, but it's still kind of puzzling to me why things plug in where they do. I'm VERY close to it clicking, but there's just some odd visual disconnect for me between all of the interconnecting lines and what actually connects to the same breadboard row, etc... I know, this is basic stuff. I need to actually sit down for an hour with someone who knows this stuff and that'll be that - there are too many "in the moment" questions for a video to solve! Ha...

Back