Hazy Island Modulator (Low Tide)

steviejr92

Authorized Vendor
Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Today is my GF Birthday so im keeping this short! The Low Tide as most of you know is a clone of the Fairfield Circuitry Shallow Waters. Its a fairly high parts count build but what fun it is! I ended up going to with SMD versions of the J201 and 2sk208Y. I didn't fill in the eyelets where the thru hole versions would've went. Im not sure if that makes a difference or not! As for the design i went with something similar to my last build. To be quite honest i don't think i like it haha The island i thought would come out a little more cause i used matte gloss and paid for a double layer of it! Oh well lesson learned! As for the circuit itself its very subtle in what it does (unless i have this thing setup completely wrong). In the future if i return to build this one again im going to look into mods for it to make it a little more "livelier". Im still going with a 5 out of 5 because of just how fun this was to build!

IMG-1204.jpg

IMG-1205.jpg

IMG-1203.jpg

IMG-1207.jpg

IMG-1208.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks man! Yeah if you go the UV route don’t make this mistake thinking it’ll pop out. Now I’ll be honest the extra lighting completely washes it out. In person you can see it better.

Nice clean build, It seems like people love or hate the shallow water, I think most dislike it for its underwhelming qualities you are definitely not the first to build it and wonder “is this what it’s supposed to sound like?” I’m going to go out on a limb and say you it’s not your build, that’s the nature of that circuit. Looks like you did a good job.

Nice clean build, It seems like people love or hate the shallow water, I think most dislike it for its underwhelming qualities you are definitely not the first to build it and wonder “is this what it’s supposed to sound like?” I’m going to go out on a limb and say you it’s not your build, that’s the nature of that circuit. Looks like you did a good job.
Well thats a relief. Ive been fine tuning the BBD and GATE trimmers since this post. Its still very underwhelming. The next time i build one im going to look up some mods maybe they will "enhance" the experience!

Well thats a relief. Ive been fine tuning the BBD and GATE trimmers since this post. Its still very underwhelming. The next time i build one im going to look up some mods maybe they will "enhance" the experience!
If you haven't, check out Mark Johnston's "Secret Weapon" video on Youtube about the Shallow Water. He does a great job explaining how it works, and it helped me wrap my head around what it's supposed to sound like. After watching that I was able to get it dialed in and set up in a way where I could start to see what all the fuss was about.

If you haven't, check out Mark Johnston's "Secret Weapon" video on Youtube about the Shallow Water. He explains really well how it works and it helped me to get a good idea as to what it's supposed to sound like. After watching that I was able to get it dialed in and set up in a way where I could start to see what all the fuss was about.
Going to take a look asap! Thanks for the heads up.

So i actually finished watching that video @jwyles90 recommended. I now understand that thats just how this circuit is supposed to be. Very mellow. I decided to turn it on once again and i can hear what hes hearing although i will still like to try it with headphones on.
Yea it's a fairly subtle effect. I've found that with slew around noon-01:30, rate and depth around 2-3, and then gate around 11ish it does a real nice "lofi" kind of vibrato.

Yea it's a fairly subtle effect. I've found that with slew around noon-01:30, rate and depth around 2-3, and then gate around 11ish it does a real nice "lofi" kind of vibrato.
I can say this you dont notice it till you turn it off. I think i need more time with the pedal and maybe try stacking it with another modulation and experiment.

Back