Help Wiring Simple Test Box

drgonzo1969

I am putting together a simple test box to test circuits quickly. I am just about to wire it up but I wanted to check here first before I do. There are pics of the enclosure below with hardware in. Other than wiring the grounds together am I overlooking anything here? Should I put some sort of circuit protection in there? Sorry for the noobery… but just wanted make sure this is a functional idea before I commit. Thanks in advance. (Sorry for the Swiss cheese enclosure haha)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    491.4 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    585.9 KB · Views: 26
You could solder a 1N5817 to the DC jack + tab then wire the power off the end of the diode to the power terminal AND a 100µF cap from the DC Jack's positive tab to the ground lug. That'll keep your power clean and protect any circuits downstream BUT...
Aren't your pedals all going to have circuit-protection and power-filtering anyway?

Will you be powering it off a wallwart or battery?

For STAR GROUNDING you could use a scrap of VERO to wire the grounds all together and not have a mess of wires coming off the DC Jack...

No apologies for the swiss-cheese necessary. Those are just for mods you'll add later when new ideas come to you...

Seems straight-forward and you've got it under control.

You might want to consider adding an audio probe in there for troubleshooting. I put one on mine with a switch and indicator LED and has come in handy many times.

With BuddytheReow's added audio-probe, you'll want to add a tone-generator so you don't have to keep strumming a guitar...

Then down the road, when you're unsure of the power being supplied to the pedal, you'll want to add a Current Meter...

Hey, I told you that you'll want to mod it down the road a spell. Good thing you've got extra holes in the enclosure already drilled!

Back