Helping Hands - Is it worth it?

Helping hands are amazing (I have a 4-hands magnetic-base style, where you can move the hands wherever you want), as is a good PCB holder (the blue one mentioned above that rotates).

Side-tracking slightly because some HH come with these things built-in/on, I have external/not part of my helping-hands setup:

These magnifier glasses are my favorite. A bit of adjustable focal length, different magnifier strength lenses, rechargeable, and the nose-bridge keeps them in place without squeezing a strap around my head:

Something not mentioned yet is a Fume Extractor. There are some helping hands that have a tiny fan/filter and although they work, it's not amazing. A good external one, although not absolutely needed, it can make a world of difference in your comfort. No breathing in fumes, no trying to blow them away from your face. This is a bit on the more expensive side, but after fussing with cheaper ones I wish I bought this first. The neck really sticks wherever you point the thing:

Last edited:
These magnifier glasses are my favorite. A bit of adjustable focal length, different magnifier strength lenses, rechargeable, and the nose-bridge keeps them in place without squeezing a strap around my head:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T4KPYN2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_8Ct-FbS4G2582?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I've been looking for something adjustable like this but for magnifiers a few years back I bought 3x and 4x reading glasses. Depending on the lighting / component size / etc, I can get away with using either one for most work (and also learned how much they help with reading 😂) I use a 10x jewelers eye loupe for closer inspection.

Also seconding using a fume extractor, my current work station is in my bedroom and I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable soldering in it without it. I use one like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L9CPXXX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've used helping hands before but have scratched the living shit out of boards by having the alligator clips slip so I only use blue tack and a pcb holder for pcbs. For offboard wiring tasks they're an absolute necessity for me though.

Reactions: fig
Back