DEMO Hobie- Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion

This post contains an audio or video demo

Guardians of the analog

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
1000010902.jpg
7tquws.jpg
@Robert wins today 🤣🤣🤣

This one caught me off guard. @dan.schumaker had mentioned to me before he was working on a DS-2 but it wasn't quite right. Then he emailed me and said I had one headed my way to test. I was ecstatic to say the least! It came in the mail and that day I built it up and tested it. I've been waiting for this day for a LONG time 😂

If you've seen or built one of Dan's boards you know he's a mad scientist. He can make any size circuit fit into any enclosure. This is a Big circuit with some pretty complex switching involving lots of fets for the two modes. Dan used CMOS switching via a SPDT and the results are flawless. The fact that he got all this into a 125b with onboard relay bypass is pretty remarkable. I'm used to 1/8watt resistors so the build itself was a breeze.

So how does it sound? I put it side by side to my production DS-2 and it sounds the same. Only difference is, I used a logarithmic pot for distortion instead of the D taper the stock uses. Close enough for rock n roll. Other than that I used all common parts and smd j201s for the jfets.

For the enclosure I used a matte orange tayda box and UV print. This pedal will always be synonymous with Kurt Cobain and my love of In Utero. As a tribute to the man who imo is one of the greatest stage destroyers I went with Hobie Brown aka spider punk who embodies the sound and spirit of this build. What a fantastic build and sound it makes. The video clip is from my testing rig before I boxed it, as I just got back from vacation and the day before I left my hot water heater died and leaked, so my music room is filled with stuff from the storage side still and no filming right now.
zmKJzpU.jpg
x5PJhDj.jpg
OufOuhP.jpeg

Last edited:
Hell yeah. Excellent work as usual and props to @dan.schumaker.
Yep, @dan.schumaker is the man!
Absolutely killer! Damn, perfection all the way down to the board work! 😍
Thanks Stevie, proof that I still rock it before I box it 🤣
Hell yeah, I even got my favorite Kardashian sister 😤
This build fornicates! Robert still better do a board tho bc I wanna build one!
I hope he does too because mode 2 has some cocked wah tones I know you'll love
Oh man, that gets downright filthy. I love it.
Thanks Jimi, filthy in all the best ways
Killer is as killer does?? You know what I mean......awesome build, dude :cool:
Thanks John, but stop telling all my secrets....now I gotta move the bodies 😂

Out of curiosity, what diodes are you using instead of the 1ss 188 diodes found in the original? Some genius who previously owned my DS-2 decided to replace those with 3mm red leds haha

I ended used 4148s. If you wanted to be more accurate you could do bat46 and 1n914/4148 in series. The LEDs probably sound good though
Yeah that probably gets me close to the ~1v VF of the 133 188. I *think* the 1n60 germanium diode is pretty bang on too, and it's available to me from musikding. I think I might go with that, unless I'm missing something obvious and it's just a bad idea.

Yeah that probably gets me close to the ~1v VF of the 133 188. I *think* the 1n60 germanium diode is pretty bang on too, and it's available to me from musikding. I think I might go with that, unless I'm missing something obvious and it's just a bad idea.
You know what, I'm currently very confused as to what the 1SS 188FM diode even is. I did some double checking and now I haven't a clue whether it's a germanium or silicon, 1VF or 0.3VF part. Does anyone have on good authority what this part even is 😭

You know what, I'm currently very confused as to what the 1SS 188FM diode even is. I did some double checking and now I haven't a clue whether it's a germanium or silicon, 1VF or 0.3VF part. Does anyone have on good authority what this part even is 😭
The original diodes in the DS-2 are 1SS133. The max fv is 1.2v but it's hard to say what the actual average fv is at. I used 1n4148 because they are a good general purpose silicon diode like the 1SS133. I didn't hear any discernable difference between my original DS-2 unit and my build.

The original diodes in the DS-2 are 1SS133. The max fv is 1.2v but it's hard to say what the actual average fv is at. I used 1n4148 because they are a good general purpose silicon diode like the 1SS133. I didn't hear any discernable difference between my original DS-2 unit and my build.
Fair enough. I think newer DS-2 pedals replace 1SS-133 diodes with 1N4148's because that's all that's in mine. Solder joints look factory on them. I am definitely worrying too much about the hard clipping diodes in D14 and D15 on the original, where the 1SS-188fm's go. In fact, I think the schematic got them wrong, because it doesn't look like there is such thing as a 1SS-188, but instead a 1S-188. I've seen some places say it's equivalent to the NTE109. So that's another option. Doesn't look like I'm gonna get any VF vs current curves on these old-ass diodes :ROFLMAO:

I am definitely being overkill in being this precise for a clipping diode that probably doesn't see much action given how much clipping is already in this circuit haha.

Fair enough. I think newer DS-2 pedals replace 1SS-133 diodes with 1N4148's because that's all that's in mine. Solder joints look factory on them. I am definitely worrying too much about the hard clipping diodes in D14 and D15 on the original, where the 1SS-188fm's go. In fact, I think the schematic got them wrong, because it doesn't look like there is such thing as a 1SS-188, but instead a 1S-188. I've seen some places say it's equivalent to the NTE109. So that's another option. Doesn't look like I'm gonna get any VF vs current curves on these old-ass diodes :ROFLMAO:

I am definitely being overkill in being this precise for a clipping diode that probably doesn't see much action given how much clipping is already in this circuit haha.
Yeah, no need to stress that much over a silicon diode 😂🤡 Screenshot_20230817-182125.png

Back