How exactly does this work?

I built most o the board last night, with the exception of the 3.3 VR, which I was out of 😲 [cue the fine folks over on the AIGF thread], but have some incoming. I'll try to get to the enclosure this afternoon.

Pardon the flux. I forgot to scrub it down.
YL1KjCC.jpg

Is there a way to open SpinASM IDE files (.spn) in SpinCAD? I know this is a pretty 101 question but documentation for SpinCAD seems to be sparse

62D6EABD-CA0D-46AB-8545-A501325B8C18.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: fig
Is there a way to open SpinASM IDE files (.spn) in SpinCAD? I know this is a pretty 101 question but documentation for SpinCAD seems to be sparse

I haven't used SpinCAD in a while but it seems like you can load .spn files into patches (or maybe it's just hex/bin files?)

Regardless, it would be a raw import, it won't show up as visually editable blocks.

I wrote that accidental Daydream copy to it (I've since deleted). It sounded fantastic! I've got the sample code to work with, which is usually all I need. I'll see what kind of groovy noise I can make. I'll do a proper BR when my knobs get here and I maybe put some graphics on the front. Groovy stuff.

Pardon the flux. I forgot to scrub it down.
YL1KjCC.jpg
Where’d you source your CH341A from? Did it end up being legit? Given how many super cheap 341A programmer sticks there are, I doubt they’re counterfeited much, but you never know.

I got a few from AliExpress, but since it’s a digital thing, idk how I’d go about testing that it’s real without soldering it, or if it has the potential to have a virus or something on it

Where’d you source your CH341A from?
I'm curious where @fig got his from, but I got mine from an aliexpress seller (YT Electronics) that had the most orders of a 341 on aliexpress. A few reviews sounded like they tested them and worked. I usually have better results with SMD stuff than DIP so I wasn't too worried about soldering it to my board but I'll let you know once I actually get it wired up to try it.

Does the CH341 need any setup on Windows or should theoretically AsProgrammer be able to see the eeprom just with the fv1 dev board connected over usb? USB plugged into my dev board, tried with and without dc plugged in

edit: definitely a driver issue - windows says it can't find a driver for it in device manager, and googling some of the identifying stuff from the device details tab does bring up ch341 driver info. installed some from wch but still can't get it to read

Last edited:
Does the CH341 need any setup on Windows or should theoretically AsProgrammer be able to see the eeprom just with the fv1 dev board connected over usb? USB plugged into my dev board, tried with and without dc plugged in

edit: definitely a driver issue - windows says it can't find a driver for it in device manager, and googling some of the identifying stuff from the device details tab does bring up ch341 driver info. installed some from wch but still can't get it to read
Apologies for the delay, I was battling a nasty stomach bug through the weekend.

I run it in a VM Windows 10 & a frugal Aspire all-in-one. I don't recall having to download additional drivers but you do have to select the correct EEPROM from the menu. I'll double-check this evening and get back to you sir.

Apologies for the delay, I was battling a nasty stomach bug through the weekend.

I run it in a VM Windows 10 & a frugal Aspire all-in-one. I don't recall having to download additional drivers but you do have to select the correct EEPROM from the menu. I'll double-check this evening and get back to you sir.

Hope you're feeling better! And no rush, it was directed at anyone who knew. I'm pretty unhappy with everything I've been doing in SpinCAD anyway lol. I have the EEPROM selected I think (IC->PedalPCB->FV1->_24LC32A)

Yup, and you have the CH341 selected in the menu. Are you running a VM? On the PC, when attached it appears as a UART LPT , so pretty generic.

Yup, and you have the CH341 selected in the menu. Are you running a VM? On the PC, when attached it appears as a UART LPT , so pretty generic.

I’m just using Windows 10. Nothing comes up as a new device when it’s attached, but on quick glance googling UART LPT brings up a lot of people seemingly solving this problem on Windows 10. Screenshotted the answer from here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10/bbeb5844-5875-4632-8721-299b66675ab1 in case anyone else is running into it. Haven’t tried it yet (I’ll edit this out if it doesn’t work), but seems like exactly what I’m looking for

86E8457E-B2B6-4565-A908-A37D46F35F4F.png

Trying to minimize a window or use keyboard commands gets really interesting at times. "What did I just do?!?! ARRRH"
...and I could not count the number of times I've shut down a VM thinking I had simply closed a window. "Where did it go??!?! ARRRRH" I exaggerate of course (but only slightly.) I've gotten better over the years, but new OS features usually make things worse. I just did MacOS update and so far it's pretty seamless. Windows 11? I'm so glad I've got XP safe on a few VM instances, but Parallels and Fusion (I've used for 10+ yr) have some issues sharing newer USB ports.

I've gotten better over the years, but new OS features usually make things worse.

We have whatever is the newest version of MacOS (sorry, I refuse to call it just OS lol) on the shop's work computer and coming from Catalina on my 2012 Macbook Pro it's a world of difference and I hate it - almost as much as I hate Windows 10 on my main computer. If it weren't for Adobe I'd be hunkered down in linux using a CLI for everything, ignoring both Windows and Mac. I always think about dual-booting, but in for a penny in for a pound. I use too many smaller apps that could be replaced on linux for other aspects of design work (research, project organization, etc) that would be cumbersome to do in an alternate OS away from Adobe stuff. I hate it all. Ted Kaczynski was more right than wrong 🙃

Anyway, a few SpinCAD questions:

• What is a reasonable time base setting? And,
  • What is a good buffer depth for elements that have that property? I can tell a difference in some simulations but I'm not sure if these differences transfer over once it's burned to an EEPROM.
  • Are there resources / guides for SpinCAD that I'm just oblivious to? I have really only seen the 101 Trem tutorial and a few scattered forum posts. Edit: D'OH. There's a docs directory on Github: https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer/tree/master/docs although it's just forum threads saved as PDFs. I know the original holycityaudio page on longer exists.

Last edited:
Back